What is a computer?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Nile7
Newly Registered User

What is a computer?

Post by Nile7 »

I kind of have a spiritual connection to computers.

With the advent of realities that are beyond normal functioning (eg. TMW, ie. a reality outside of "normal humanity"), I begin to wonder, what are computers really capable of?

Do computers make us smarter?
Do computers make us more aware?
Do computers make us more dumb/stupid/malignant/ridiculous?
(what I mean by 'dumb' is that we think we can do life by ourselves, which leads to a hostile soul against those that attempt to subjugate this single-player soul)
(what I mean by 'stupid' is that we do/say things that are obviously wrong, which leads to a reality where you can't tell bad ideas from good ideas)
(what I mean by 'malignant' is that we tend to grow out-of-control to means that makes life out-of-control, like a train that keeps going faster and faster without noting to slow-down at turns).
(what I mean by 'ridiculous' is that we aren't doing what we 'should' be doing, like a sword that's being used to dig trenches. eg. a young man aged 23 should be trying to find work, instead he's collecting a pension and playing video games. eg. a young man joins the armed forces and then quits when he should stay and do better. eg. a young man is dreaming by himself when he should be with friends)

I think computers aren't really real. But I think computers can map out the mind to tell us what we truly are. Are we someone that strives to get the most gold in the game? Are we someone that tries to complete all of the quests?

I think TMW can tell us a lot about who we are.

For me, I think TMW tells me that..I'm trying to understand...the world doesn't make sense...reality is something that is constantly changing...everything exists for what it needs to do...everything exists for itself...

What do you think?
Last edited by Nile7 on 06 Mar 2013, 17:45, edited 3 times in total.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: What is a computer?

Post by o11c »

A computer is a device designed to increase the effectiveness of a well-ordered mind.

Unfortunately, their mass-production has had the opposite effect on the majority of its users.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Post by LordDune »

Google "quantum computers" if you really want to learn something that will amaze you.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Computers are calculators with buildin automation. Nothing more and nothing less.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.