Fighting the spirits

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
janica
Peon
Peon

Fighting the spirits

Post by janica »

Hello.
I was wondering, is there a good status points organisation for fighting Poltergeist, Wisp and Spectre? I don't have trouble hitting them; my biggest issue is their strong attack (200-250). I'm an archer, level 90; currently fighting with this stats arrangement:
1 97+3 20 1 97+3 31+1
I usually have forest armor, cat ears, warlord boots, jeans chaps, clover and leather gloves on.

Are mages maybe more sufficient when attacking spirits? (#ingrav for example)

Thank you for your time :D
“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

Have a nice day <3
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Re: Fighting the spirits

Post by bell chick »

janica wrote:Hello.
I was wondering, is there a good status points organisation for fighting Poltergeist, Wisp and Spectre? I don't have trouble hitting them; my biggest issue is their strong attack (200-250). I'm an archer, level 90; currently fighting with this stats arrangement:
1 97+3 20 1 97+3 31+1
I usually have forest armor, cat ears, warlord boots, jeans chaps, clover and leather gloves on.

Are mages maybe more sufficient when attacking spirits? (#ingrav for example)

Thank you for your time :D
they move a little fast for achers i would ay warrior is about the best to handle them. raging warrior for the spectres. mages can do it but attack a little slow meaning lots of running
janica
Peon
Peon

Post by janica »

I'm aware I'd have to run because they are fast; but are there any key stats for them? Similar to VIT for yeti, or VIT and LUK for Mountain snakes
“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

Have a nice day <3
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

janica wrote:I'm aware I'd have to run because they are fast; but are there any key stats for them? Similar to VIT for yeti, or VIT and LUK for Mountain snakes
not really for archers. Just poke and run, rinse repeat.
sexy red bearded GM
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

As a rager/tank, I tend to go for the poltergeists. The Wisps and Spectres hit a bit harder without really giving more experience, so I find they're best to just ignore. This isn't really the kind of place poke 'n run would work though, imo; just as with mogguns, as soon as you hit one spirit, the rest will attack. It works fine if (as with mogguns) you've got caves to back into, but in the swamps you just run into more spirits, so pretty soon you've got like 10-15 of them on you. What I tend to do though is draw out a few at a time, and as soon as they get to a bottleneck, run really fast out of sight so they forget about me and have a chance to spread out. One of the biggest challenges is they tend to cluster together in large groups, particularly in the southwest corner.
afaik, the only way to really prevent the critical hits is with luck. I think it's percentage based, so they'll hit less frequently, but unless your luck is like 65 or so they're still going to hit. Otherwise you archers would just plow on through them all and there'd be nothing left for us tanks :lol:
end of line.
Dude
Novice
Novice

Post by Dude »

Poke and run is a dangerous strategy as you'll get more and more following you....I've been able to tank all three, but the trick is to attack them when there are no others of the same kind around. Even @ level 99, a mob of them will kill you....
Dude - lvl 99
...and yes I know where my car is.....
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

You can hit spectres pretty well with a mage or a raging warrior :)

With an archer, that's also doable but in tends do be long... And pray for other spectres to not join the one being slaughtered. They're slow but they hit hard :lol:

-------------------
Edit : In my opinion, polstergeists aren't hard to kill as a warrior, especially if you aren't surrounded by many of them. For an archer or a mage, that's doable even if they're rather fast.
About wisps, i'm not really used to them, but i think you can kill them easily and quickly with a speed archer. The thing is still to not be hurt.
v0id
Novice
Novice

Post by v0id »

Alternate solution: do not fight them, and focus on worthy mobs like skels / fallens / zombies when you're in gy.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

v0id wrote:Alternate solution: do not fight them, and focus on worthy mobs like skels / fallens / zombies when you're in gy.
/me wonders how some people survive without the ManaPlus 'ignore mob' feature.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Janica, spirits behave mainly as Lady Skeletons or Skeletons (Wisps, Poltergeists) , and Skulls (Spectres); with lower luck for the first higher (70) for the spectre. The main differences are, in my opinion, non aggressivity (but they assist) and the range of Poltergeist and Spectre which is 3! thus archers must be very careful with them. Full Mallard archers have an advantage.
Your stats are good for them, anyway, but warriors are safer.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

Wisps have always stood out as being closer to zombies than skeletons.

Another thing that wisps and poltergeists have is a low enough level that you can specialize in agility and get them to miss a good deal of the time. Other high-level monsters will have enough accuracy that they cross the threshold of competence against any possible player build.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

If you use potions and a balanced stat such as 90 dext 90 agility (or 100 of each whatever you prefer) and rest into vit, you can pin them as an archer and kill them quite fast.

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.