[POLL]A new exotic trader that sells stuff for bosspoints.

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

Good idea?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 42
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[POLL]A new exotic trader that sells stuff for bosspoints.

Post by veryape »

Last night I talked with some people in town about having a kind of shop where you could spend your BossPoints to get rares or unobtainable/unreleased stuff, such as don's crown, the eye patch etc.

I still kind of like the idea, the idea is that those sought after rares does not become impossible to strive for for the players, and just adding them to the exotic trader would promote botting red slimes imo.

And since the price to get them in boss points will be high (i thought of 25k boss points, maybe we should alter that a little) the rares will still be very rare indeed.

The items added in the script is: Crown, Golden Warlord Plate, Eye Patch, Scarab Armlet, High Priest Crown and Monster Skull Helmet.

I kind of played around writing a script for a NPC with my limited knowledge in TMW scripting.

What do you think about this idea? Should it be tweaked? Any input is appreciated.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

if (BOSS_POINTS >= 25000) goto L_Store
Mes "[NPC]";
	mes "\"Come back once youre more experienced.\"";
	next;
	message strcharinfo(0), "You currently have" + BOSS_POINTS " bosspoints."
	close;

L_Store:
	mes "[NPC]";
	mes "\"Hello, it seems you are worthy of peeking at my goods. I'm not all that interested in gold, so I give them for courageous deeds. Do you want to see what I can offer?\"";
	menu
		"Yes.", L_Shop,
		"No.", close;

L_Shop:
	getinventorylist;
    if (@inventorylist_count == 100 
    	goto L_NoSlots
    goto L_ShopList

L_NoSlots:
	mes "[NPC]";
	mes "You already have too many items! Don't someone like you have anywhere to put his gear? Are you some kind of hoarder or what?!"
	close;

L_ShopList:
	mes "[NPC]"
	mes "\"Okey what I have on offer at the moment is those things: A crown befit any ruler, an eye patch that would fit the fiercest of pirates, a golden warlord plate, a ceremonial mage shield known as a scarab armlet and, a high priest crown and last but not least a monster skull helmet. They will each set you back 25000 boss points. Now what would you fancy?\"";
	menu
		"I'd take that Crown please.", L_Crown, 
		"An eye patch.. Yar..", L_EyePatch,
		"Golden Warlord Plate thanks!", L_GoldenWarlordPlate,
		"A Scarab Armlet!", L_ScarabArmlet,
		"The High Priest Crown.", L_HighPriestCrown,
		"Monster Skull Helmet.", L_MonsterSkullHelmet,
		"I'm not interested in any of those things.", close;

L_Crown:
	if (checkweight("Crown", 1) == 0))
		goto Overweight
	set BOSS_POINTS, BOSS_POINTS - 25000;
	message strcharinfo(0), "You spent 25000 Boss Points giving you a total of " + BOSS_POINTS + ".";
	getitem "Crown", 1;
	close;

L_EyePatch:
	if (checkweight("EyePatch", 1) == 0))
		goto Overweight
	message strcharinfo(0), "You spent 25000 Boss Points giving you a total of " + BOSS_POINTS + ".";
	getitem "EyePatch", 1;
	close;

L_GoldenWarlordPlate:
	if (checkweight("GoldenWarlordPlate", 1) == 0))
		goto Overweight
	getitem "GoldenWarlordPlate", 1;
	close;

L_ScarabArmlet:
	if (checkweight("ScarabArmlet", 1) == 0))
		goto Overweight
	getitem "ScarabArmlet", 1;
	close;

L_HighPriestCrown:
	if (checkweight("HighPriestCrown", 1) == 0))
		goto Overweight
	getitem "HighPriestCrown", 1;
	close;

L_MonsterSkullHelmet:
	if (checkweight("MonsterSkullHelmet", 1) == 0))
		goto Overweight
	getitem "MonsterSkullHelmet", 1;
	close;
Edited the scripting, hopefully it is better now.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
PeaceMaeker
Newly Registered User

Re: A new exotic trader that sells stuff for bosspoints, ide

Post by PeaceMaeker »

LOL you just want to get the rares you still dont have :P
:alt-6:
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

It would be nice to see the Boss Points be used to get some of the harder to earn Quest Items. (Grass Snake Tongues for example)
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Why do you want to add mass idiot items in game? "Because it's already in the db"?
What if the developer teams needs a special items for a reward in the future? Afaik there was no new equipment sprite since a while back, don't make a bad use of your db, and please stop to consider the exotic trader like a good thing, it was just a money sink which should have last 2 months.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Reid wrote:it was just a money sink
And an item sink. All those items (well, hats, all hats of course) were never used as rewards for anything. They just cost a whole lot of money coming from a whole lot of grinding.
There are surely more creative ways to spend boss points.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

You know what would be a great Idea for Boss Points and be along these lines ?
Cassy's Lottery Idea.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

wushin wrote:You know what would be a great Idea for Boss Points and be along these lines ?
Cassy's Lottery Idea.
You mean using Boss Points as costs for a Lottery Ticket or how?
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

IMO boss points should be used for something else, the point of the current exotic trader is for a money sink. People already have ideas for quests and such for boss points it would be sad if they were just used to get rares for purchase.

Also if it was used for a rares exotic trader it should be used for some items that are not currently in game or in circulation for rares, not like most of the items you listed.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Is this the best use for bosspoints? probably not.

Has there / is there ideas for use of them? Sure, they were going to be used in Thermin.

So what is the problem? Imo those ideas has been around since what? 2009/2010, still no progress and for all that i know there isn't anyone working on Thermin.

How long has the items been around that I have listed? Most of them probably also since 2009 or so. If you guys thinks that they are stupid, just don't buy any of them, I didn't do the "exotic trader part of the game".

The biggest problem with this kind of thing is that it would only affect a really small set of high level players imo. But it would give them something to strive for once they have reached level 99, it would probably spur a few more candors (that everyone with lvl 40+ could enjoy). I think that the beanie copter really had some impact on gameplay because it brought people together playing candors, it is a great meet and greet place.

Also having old rares in there will probably have a really small impact on how common they become, I doubt we will see more than 1-2 scarabs/eye patches brought into game every year. Most of the players would go for the new and shiny vanity items. However if someone has dreamed of say an eye-patch since they first saw it - now there is a way to get one even if the way there is really long.

To sum up, sure, there were grandiose ideas for bosspoints, none of them are being actively developed and has been in hiatus for as long as I have played, "selling" this game to the public/players on ideas from years ago that are not developed isn't going to help us, it will just make the game look stale and unfinished. Mylarian dust is another example of item that has a thought out use in the future, however the original content creators left (I think) and their thoughts have not been picked up by anyone yet. I think the use for it should be free to grab for any active developer as long as the content lead agrees with it.
PeaceMaeker
Newly Registered User

Post by PeaceMaeker »

veryape wrote:Is this the best use for bosspoints? probably not.

Has there / is there ideas for use of them? Sure, they were going to be used in Thermin.

So what is the problem? Imo those ideas has been around since what? 2009/2010, still no progress and for all that i know there isn't anyone working on Thermin.

How long has the items been around that I have listed? Most of them probably also since 2009 or so. If you guys thinks that they are stupid, just don't buy any of them, I didn't do the "exotic trader part of the game".

The biggest problem with this kind of thing is that it would only affect a really small set of high level players imo. But it would give them something to strive for once they have reached level 99, it would probably spur a few more candors (that everyone with lvl 40+ could enjoy). I think that the beanie copter really had some impact on gameplay because it brought people together playing candors, it is a great meet and greet place.

Also having old rares in there will probably have a really small impact on how common they become, I doubt we will see more than 1-2 scarabs/eye patches brought into game every year. Most of the players would go for the new and shiny vanity items. However if someone has dreamed of say an eye-patch since they first saw it - now there is a way to get one even if the way there is really long.

To sum up, sure, there were grandiose ideas for bosspoints, none of them are being actively developed and has been in hiatus for as long as I have played, "selling" this game to the public/players on ideas from years ago that are not developed isn't going to help us, it will just make the game look stale and unfinished. Mylarian dust is another example of item that has a thought out use in the future, however the original content creators left (I think) and their thoughts have not been picked up by anyone thus far. I think the use for it should be free to grab for any active developer as long as the content lead agrees with it.
+1
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Why not make them cost both, Boss Points and money?

Personally I understand both points, keeping the Exotic Trader as a money sink and having more uses of Boss Points.

Espescially I love his one:
veryape wrote:The biggest problem with this kind of thing is that it would only affect a really small set of high level players imo. But it would give them something to strive for once they have reached level 99, it would probably spur a few more candors (that everyone with lvl 40+ could enjoy). I think that the beanie copter really had some impact on gameplay because it brought people together playing candors, it is a great meet and greet place.
Why not have a Scarab Armlet in there that costs 25,000 Boss Points but also let's say 5M GP (just a quick suggestion)?
Of course the GP costs would need to be reduced.

Worst solution (or one of the worst) would be making super rares suddenly usual quest rewards as this upsets everyone who spent hours getting the money to get that rare.
Should be mentioned...
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

From my point of view Money should not be used in tandem with Bosspoints.

I am not a great fan of the Exotic Trader, I do see that it was made as a money sink, and I heard one was needed.

Nowadays, who earns 30 millions?

People that find some game design flaw and exploit it (I did it by playing Illia around the clock for a week or so when the lazurite could be sold for super high profit at the stores). The others I know that are as rich are either people that played for really long and/or did the same kind of thing as me.

What is the best way to gain cash? Probably to bot red/yellow slimes. I'd say sell ordinary items and consumerables for cash, use bosspoints instead
of money for "exotic trader" kinds of stuff.

Keep the exotic trader, but since the rares market already is there and boss points cant be transferred between people gold will still play a huge role for the trading of rares etc.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Hmm I'm still for BP+GP as there will always be a money sink needed at some point.

But maybe a different thing: which rares should the Exotic Trader offer?
All of them or only a few ones (and which)?
Main characters:

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

I think that is open for debate, but the ones i added in the script is listed in the first post.

Maybe others can be added too down the line. My guess is that everyone will go for the Crown.

There could possibly be "second tier" rares for less boss points, but i don't intend to make it a super big thing. I more think of it as a distant target for people who have run out of things to do in the game, and while they strive for their silly hats the mid range players can profit from free candors.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well also include a sampling of quest items. (Grass Snake Tongues, Souls, Iced Waters)