Chicken legs

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Barchaul
Peon
Peon

Chicken legs

Post by Barchaul »

I was wondering why chicken legs are not dropped by any of the monsters. The only place to get them is to buy them at Diamonds Cove. Many of the higher level players, especially Bulls and Banshees, use a lot of them because of the 500 hp you get, but it can be quite costly. I think that the Evil Mushroom would be a good choice for the monster, but make it just a little bit tougher to kill. Because they assist when attacked, it makes it more of a challenge.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Chicken legs

Post by wushin »

Well I always wanted to change them to Lizard legs as we have a Lizard that could drop them but don't have a chicken. Link to Lizard already in live content
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Barchaul
Peon
Peon

Post by Barchaul »

Too bad there isn't a chicken available to be added to the game. It would be funny as hell to see someone running away from a flock of killer chickens :lol: . They could be called kilkens.
But I do like the idea of adding the lizard. As long as the lizard leg gives 500 hp. I wonder if lizard tastes like chicken.
Barchaul
Peon
Peon

Post by Barchaul »

Another thought I had about the lizards, would be to add them to the terranite caves. Replace all of the skeletons with lizards. It would make more sense to see lizards. Skeletons should be in the grave yard and crypt.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Head of the TMW Illuminati
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Crazyk8e
Novice
Novice

Post by Crazyk8e »

I looks like there may be some seagulls in the new Tulimshar noble map, perhaps they could become animated and drop chicken legs, could be they eat chickens!
Barchaul
Peon
Peon

Post by Barchaul »

How many player votes would it take to have chicken legs as a dropped item from one or more of the monsters?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Votes don't matter, what matters is who's going to do the work.

Code work, plot work, and balance work.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

Post by _Cordo_ »

o11c wrote:Votes don't matter, what matters is who's going to do the work.

Interesting to note I was told by wushin via IRC that it was often players that blocked development progress. Suppose they were perceiving things incorrectly also, or even attempting to offer some excuse for others. Will do this again because it is really a great bit of dialog which seems to clarify everything.

To me this reads as you saying the players do not matter. Players express their desires for the game by voting. You say the votes do not matter. Clearly then, you're saying what the players desire does not matter. In effect you're saying players do not matter.

This to me says, what wushin expressed was either innocently wrong, or expressed with intention to deceive as an excuse. Wushin suggested it was the desires of the players which held the developers back from completing projects. The understanding being developers may be working on an idea but players may want something else instead, developers drop the first thing to attend the second one given by players.

Oh, this is beautiful and I'll do it again.

Thank you for clarifying everything for everyone, possibly even yourself.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Barchaul & _cordo_ The players can't "vote" a feature or function in as the staff of developers are all volunteers. They can however convince them an idea is good and then they will work with people on making that change. The best way to do this is by providing part of the work needed to be done. I will walk you through whats missing on this thread to accomplish this.

So far a number of monsters have been suggested; Evil Mushrooms, Lizards, Chickens and Skeletons.

1) Evil Mushrooms aren't used much in game so they wouldn't really increase the rate. Plus it doesn't make much sense for them to drop it.

2) The Lizard is drawn and in a sprite sheet, but needs Mob stats and to be added to maps. I'd see no problem with adding this mob to the Desert maps.

3) Chickens aren't drawn so we would need art for that, Mob stats, Sprite Sheet, & added to maps.

4) I'd see no problem adding the chicken legs to the Skeletons in the GY Inn.

Lizards and Skeletons in the GY Inn would be the easiest mobs to use.

Then we still need to talk about drop rate.

How often should they drop? How is that balanced against how fast they can be killed? Are chicken legs all they will drop? How often should they drop those items? How is that all balanced against how fast they can be killed?

Once that is figured out, then someone has to edit the code yet. Since we are adding a drop and mob we need to edit the Server Data & Client Data

Server data is were the mob stats and drop rate goes, client data is to place the mobs on the maps as objects.

So the Lizard would have to be added to Mob Stats and Skeleton have the Chicken Leg added to it's Drops.

The you would have to open the maps in client data that you would want to mobs too. Make sure to include the mob in all the monster sprite sheet and monster references. How-to do all of that is covered here On the Dev part of the wiki
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

IMO the drop rate should be low as otherwise it could make things too easy.

@MadCamel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01v1tcbniSw (check the end :D )
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

Post by _Cordo_ »

wushin wrote:Barchaul & _cordo_ The players can't "vote" a feature or function in as the staff of developers are all volunteers. They can however convince them an idea is good and then they will work with people on making that change. The best way to do this is by providing part of the work needed to be done. I will walk you through whats missing on this thread to accomplish this.
The players can't "vote" a feature or function in as the staff of developers are all volunteers.
What does it matter if the staff and developers are volunteers, or paid? If the staff and developers are genuinely here for the game by extension, they are here for the players of the game as well. The players use polls and voting to gain a consensus of what features and functions they, the players, desire in the game. A developer told us the following.
Votes don't matter, what matters is who's going to do the work.
Let me break this down gradually and piece by piece for you. It is clear you're not comprehending what is perceived to be meant.

1. Votes don't matter.

So if players vote to decide they want a pony feature in the game, it does not matter. What the players desire does not matter. Seems fairly straightforward and clear to me.

2. What matters is who's going to do the work.

Those doing the creation of features, functions in games are the ones doing the work, so, all that matters is their desires and them. It has already established players and players desires do not matter.

So ultimately whatever a developer choices to do, or not do is all that matters. This says that any choice regarding content creation, furthering of stories, functionality, all of it resides upon the whim of the developer/s. It says to players rather fancily dressed up in essence, f*** you. It also says the same to anyone seeking to truly help, to try doing some of the work, to create more for the game and players. Why bother if it all returns to the whim/s of only one or a select few?

Gee whiz, that seems a definition of a clique as I said once before. I took time, stepped back and tried seeing it in other ways. The actions and statements provide here by others, the one/s doing the work, simply illustrates that how I read everything was correct and the only way it is. Further it is clear you, wushin, are a mere puppet or facade used as a tool to attempt conveying an illusion.

I looked for documentation regarding the scripting. Such a critter does not exist. I was told to simply read other scripts, code something up based on similar lines, hope it works. Sorry, if you want others helping you offer guidelines, documentation, how to materials, standards. None of that is there, I looked. This compounds the message that others helping isn't desired.

Fine. No big issue. I'll enjoy what is present, enjoy the now. Do not need to help, do not need to hope for new in game. Really don't need to be deeply invested into the game. As I've said before, just something to do, "ho, hum it passes time to sit looking at my pixel made character sitting looking at me", I can go find other something/s to do too. Life is like that.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

I just need to interfere here.

@Cordo: Please don't get me wrong, but to me it seems you just *want* to misunderstand o11c and wushin.

o11c statement about "Votes don't matter, what matters is who's going to do the work." is right and wrong.
He was refering to "votes are not the imporant thing, who works on what's been voted is what counts" which is right.
Of course votes or feedback in general is important... isn't that obvious? ;)

Also there are like 123 difference between volunteers and paid devs.
_Cordo_ wrote:So ultimately whatever a developer choices to do, or not do is all that matters. This says that any choice regarding content creation, furthering of stories, functionality, all of it resides upon the whim of the developer/s. [...]

Gee whiz, that seems a definition of a clique as I said once before.
This is not how our development organization works.
Please join our IRC dev channel #themanaworld-dev for a few days before making such mean assumptions.
This is not very fair.
We talk together as a team and wushin, meko and I as content devs talk *a lot* with players.

_Cordo_ wrote:Further it is clear you, wushin, are a mere puppet or facade used as a tool to attempt conveying an illusion.
As a moderator of this forum I'm kindly asking you to change your tone.
This is quite insulting and not fair to someone who tried to help you and patiently answered your questions.
_Cordo_ wrote:I looked for documentation regarding the scripting. Such a critter does not exist. I was told to simply read other scripts, code something up based on similar lines, hope it works. Sorry, if you want others helping you offer guidelines, documentation, how to materials, standards. None of that is there, I looked. This compounds the message that others helping isn't desired.
Worked very well for me.
Here some links for documentation about scripting:
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... ing_Basics
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... _Standards
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... _Reference
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

Post by _Cordo_ »

Cassy wrote:I just need to interfere here.

@Cordo: Please don't get me wrong, but to me it seems you just *want* to misunderstand o11c and wushin.

o11c statement about "Votes don't matter, what matters is who's going to do the work." is right and wrong.
He was refering to "votes are not the imporant thing, who works on what's been voted is what counts" which is right.

Also there are like 123 difference between volunteers and paid devs.
_Cordo_ wrote:So ultimately whatever a developer choices to do, or not do is all that matters. This says that any choice regarding content creation, furthering of stories, functionality, all of it resides upon the whim of the developer/s. [...]

Gee whiz, that seems a definition of a clique as I said once before.
Please join our IRC dev channel #themanaworld-dev for a few days before making such mean assumptions.
This is not very fair.
We talk together as a team and wushin, meko and I as content devs talk *a lot* with players.

_Cordo_ wrote:Further it is clear you, wushin, are a mere puppet or facade used as a tool to attempt conveying an illusion.
This is quite insulting and not fair to someone who tried to help you and patiently answered your questions.
_Cordo_ wrote:I looked for documentation regarding the scripting. Such a critter does not exist. I was told to simply read other scripts, code something up based on similar lines, hope it works. Sorry, if you want others helping you offer guidelines, documentation, how to materials, standards. None of that is there, I looked. This compounds the message that others helping isn't desired.
Worked very well for me.
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... ing_Basics
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... _Standards
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php ... _Reference
Please don't get me wrong, but to me it seems you just *want* to misunderstand o11c and wushin.
Honestly, wish I did want to misunderstand. Honestly, do not feel or think I do.
Well, forgive the obvious response in the form of a question. Is it?
This is not very fair.
It is also not fair to insist I have not joined in on your IRC chats. Honestly, I have joined a few various different times over the course of the last three to five years. Each time I observe little to no open discussion in the channel. Now, everyone may carrying on a grand old ball privately. Not sure regarding that, as it would well, be private. Excuse me for not having either time nor desire to sit continually awaiting communication when it becomes apparent none will be forthcoming.
Fine. Consider my tone changed completely. I will no longer convey further discussion beyond this posting.
Worked very well for me.
Yes, I saw these after my last post. To be fair for me it took a bit further searching than I desired. I had asked others whom appeared involved on various occasions before to help locate such documentation. In all fairness, that now it seems readily available seems rather coincidental. Further, it took you pointing it out, well after I had asked others to direct me to it.