Attracting new players VS client version requirements

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Kestrel
Peon
Peon

Re: Attracting new players VS client version requirements

Post by Kestrel »

jasm wrote:0.0000002% drop rate is harder than grinding for 50kk gp and finding someone that will sell you one, but at least theres a chance of getting one, which would make many players stay longer.
Xtreem
Peon
Peon

Post by Xtreem »

If the super rare May Be Obtained from mobs he ceases to be a super rare. Even if it is difficult.

I agree that we should further explore the concept of rare drop, but with the things that are still there in the game as mentioned up there.

I think we should also use some worlds boss. I've never seen this in one tmw server.
A low drop rate associated with difficulty in killing the monster it would be something interesting. This type monsters may spawn one or two times a day making it more difficult.
jasm
Peon
Peon

Post by jasm »

Xtreem wrote:If the super rare May Be Obtained from mobs he ceases to be a super rare. Even if it is difficult.

I agree that we should further explore the concept of rare drop, but with the things that are still there in the game as mentioned up there.

I think we should also use some worlds boss. I've never seen this in one tmw server.
A low drop rate associated with difficulty in killing the monster it would be something interesting. This type monsters may spawn one or two times a day making it more difficult.
have you ever been at krukan ? he drops a hat too,
3398030.jpg
3398030.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
Xtreem
Peon
Peon

Post by Xtreem »

This would be small fish near a world boss xD
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Kazenawa wrote:(0.0000002% drop rate)
I'm not sure if you can put decimal numbers in mob_db.
E.g. General Krukan has "2" in mob_db, this is a chance of 0.02% for a Dark Helm.
Currently there is no lower drop chance in TMW.

I once had an idea about a mob that spawns randomly over all TMW (certain maps).
Only one at a time.
This mob could be used, make it have different drops, all former unobtainable items, and make the drop chances super rare.
Personally I could live with something like that.
Just no regular mobs, that sucks ;)
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
jasm
Peon
Peon

Post by jasm »

Cassy wrote:
E.g. General Krukan has "2" in mob_db, this is a chance of 0.02% for a Dark Helm.

I once had an idea about a mob that spawns randomly over all TMW (certain maps).
Only one at a time.
This mob could be used, make it have different drops, all former unobtainable items, and make the drop chances super rare.
i will pay you if you do it
Meicchi
Novice
Novice

Post by Meicchi »

The idea of world bosses could easily fit the lore available in the game, something like "the continent legends", 3 world bosses based respectively in Argeas, Tonori and Kaizei. It would even revitalize those last continents. It would require a large number of players to deal with in different roles, it would precisely revitalize guilds as well, and it would be like a good plot, something I could think now is that, before the Great Quake, there were 3 legendary monsters which protected the three continents. But with this event they got furious and decided to vanish for centuries. Without their protection, monsters started to proliferate around the world and it caused such a desequilibrium for nature. However they decided to come back, but now they no longer protect but instead provoke a chaos and cause a inequality even stronger than before (it would be a excuse for new stronger mobs as well). So we must put and end at their vengeance at once.
Find me in-game:
  • * Puncake (main) - light path mage, lv 79, she is actually a pumpkin
    * Meicchi (retired?) - slow speed archer, eternal lv 70 and Ginny's bastard twin
    * Fluttersly - rage warrior, lv 58, knows no jokes and has a mane
Brazilian Portuguese translation coordinator - Make part! / Faça parte!
https://www.transifex.com/organization/akaras/dashboard
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Pt:Main_Page
Spoiler:
Yes, imma noob.
Cassy's official fan-clubber
Xtreem
Peon
Peon

Post by Xtreem »

Meicchi wrote:The idea of world bosses could easily fit the lore available in the game, something like "the continent legends", 3 world bosses based respectively in Argeas, Tonori and Kaizei. It would even revitalize those last continents. It would require a large number of players to deal with in different roles, it would precisely revitalize guilds as well, and it would be like a good plot, something I could think now is that, before the Great Quake, there were 3 legendary monsters which protected the three continents. But with this event they got furious and decided to vanish for centuries. Without their protection, monsters started to proliferate around the world and it caused such a desequilibrium for nature. However they decided to come back, but now they no longer protect but instead provoke a chaos and cause a inequality even stronger than before (it would be a excuse for new stronger mobs as well). So we must put and end at their vengeance at once.
Really your idea is very good!
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Cassy wrote:

Only one at a time.
Yeah, very low drop rate, on a rare monster with almost no respawn... and getting the super drop is then even more awesome ! :)
Meicchi wrote:The idea of world bosses could easily fit the lore available in the game, something like "the continent legends", 3 world bosses based respectively in Argeas, Tonori and Kaizei. It would even revitalize those last continents. It would require a large number of players to deal with in different roles, it would precisely revitalize guilds as well, and it would be like a good plot, something I could think now is that, before the Great Quake, there were 3 legendary monsters which protected the three continents. But with this event they got furious and decided to vanish for centuries. Without their protection, monsters started to proliferate around the world and it caused such a desequilibrium for nature. However they decided to come back, but now they no longer protect but instead provoke a chaos and cause a inequality even stronger than before (it would be a excuse for new stronger mobs as well). So we must put and end at their vengeance at once.
I love this kind of idea too. Global bosses could fit well with the rare drops problem.
deepthought
Warrior
Warrior

Post by deepthought »

I agree with veryape. the important thing to note here is there aren't much good games in GNU Linux distributions. Atleast not many MMORPG and a MMORPG which is under GPL are even rarer. Even if we attract new players we still have the problem of keeping them in the game. Our main problem is we have very few developpers. If only we could reach out to gnu linux enthusiasts or a free software enthusiasts, that would be great.
I'm as cool and comforting as the porcelain tiles on your bathroom floor during an evening of vomiting.
Gajah
Peon
Peon

Post by Gajah »

Some times i need (use) proxy to update. I don't know why.
pclouds
Peon
Peon

Post by pclouds »

veryape wrote:Could we either push newer versions of manaplus to the popular distros repos? (ubuntu is probably the most important one). If that is not possible can we set the least needed version to the one in the last LTS repo? If everything doesn't work perfectly i think we could have a disclaimer in the motd-text at the top that always say "To get all the latest features please install the latest client from http://www.manaplus.org" or something like it.
I wonder if we could make a static build for mana, with flexible prefix so that the user can just download and run it, no installation. Looking at ldd of manaplus, i'm not so sure if we can really make a static build, but even reducing deps to basic libraries would increase its chances of running on many distros.
You either live long enough to be a GM, or die a Troll Master
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

pclouds wrote:I wonder if we could make a static build for mana, with flexible prefix so that the user can just download and run it, no installation. Looking at ldd of manaplus, i'm not so sure if we can really make a static build, but even reducing deps to basic libraries would increase its chances of running on many distros.
In manaplus.org try link "Other linux binaries" or direct link: http://download.evolonline.org/manaplus ... ux.tar.bz2

This is not static version, but mostly like portable. It cant use OpenGL
It may not work in some systems. for some systems need remove or add some so files.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

For the discussion about making unobtainables available as a rare mob's drops please see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18758
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

Hi,

well, to be honest, i don't think that the strategy "more of the same" will on the long run attract more players. What would be needed is a strategy for a really long run. This strategy may include several steps.

I have some basic ideas, but these would need some changes. And a change in the game as it currently is, too. It would not be a big change, but at least it would be a change.

If that would be of interest, i would explain these ideas here. But be aware: These ideas would change the game on the long run.