I dont get it!

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: I dont get it!

Post by Hello=) »

prsm wrote: 17 May 2020, 23:43But what i bought when i was in grandpas car has nothing to do with grandpas car!

That's my point!
Devs eventually get strange ideas. Let's improve cars, they say. So we no longer should use heavy and "outdated" steel. Let's use modern plastic compounds everywhere! It doesn't rusts! Cool, isn't it?! Oh, plastic degrades under sun and fails all kinds of crash tests?! Let's address these small issues later (who drives stupid cars anyway?!). Also, to improve engine we made it incompatible with existing fuel. We don't care where you'll get fuel, it's not our problem. Of course your old paint is incompatible either. It going to dissolve your car! So you have to live with factory color. Our best designers took whole year to choose it, so we don't want to hear you don't like it! We also changed battery voltage - just because it fun! Don't moan you can't charge phone anymore, you shouldn't be doing stupid things! Climate control unit and navigation isn't backported to new voltage either (our users are supposed to live in spartan environment, btw). But you can come back in a year or maybe two. And if you don't, who cares? We have a steady stream of new persons buying our cars anyway (yes, whole 2 or even whopping 3 in a month!).

And then we come outside and see people still ride their "old-fashined" cars. So yea, you (theoretically) can get new, impoved car. Unfortunately, it brings truckload of weird woes with it so far, to extent you can't just go drive it the way you've used to. So it seems a lot ppl preferred to stay old-fashined and stick with "grandpa" cars. Well, at least it works, there're accessories and fuel, climate control works and you can have it any color you like. And even paint you found is okay to use. At which point "I dont get it!" is probably best rEvolt project description one could get to the date.

Well, that's how current rEvolt project policy appears to me if I'll try to translate it to cars :). Am I wrong on some part or missed something?
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ledmitz wrote: 18 May 2020, 16:11 In short, the players need an in-game reason as to why Grandpa needs a new car or even why we can't stop at that same store to shop anymore.
I think Jesusalva and others have a few tricks up their sleeve for this, but IDK the final result, but story line is huge in getting the player's acceptance.
Yep, this is something which Doomsday Event will explain you.
I'm disclosing important tidbits only at Act 4 (when a Wumpus Egg is found).
Feel free to copy-paste the happenings from GM logs to wiki; They all become canon as soon as they happen. (Well, at least the fact that the NPCs said that become canon :oops: they could still lie)

One of the reasons why we are still in act 3/4....
Spoiler:
Is because I've requested the final act to have voice acting. And a custom soundtrack.
And of course, unique graphical effects and maps.
And mechanics which I could be proud of myself. So yep, this all will take some time.

(But hopefully will be a unique, remarkable experience to everyone who attends to it!)
t3st3r wrote: 18 May 2020, 16:27 And then we come outside and see people still ride their "old-fashined" cars. So yea, you (theoretically) can get new, impoved car. Unfortunately, it brings truckload of weird woes with it so far, to extent you can't just go drive it the way you've used to. So it seems a lot ppl preferred to stay old-fashined and stick with "grandpa" cars. Well, at least it works, there're accessories and fuel, climate control works and you can have it any color you like. And even paint you found is okay to use. At which point "I dont get it!" is probably best rEvolt project description one could get to the date.

Well, that's how current rEvolt project policy appears to me if I'll try to translate it to cars :). Am I wrong on some part or missed something?
Well, yes. One of the reasons is because it is an endless pit of flamewars, so we did a reasonable agreement and, whatever code comes out from that agreement, is what will be.

Thus far:
Spoiler:
we (read: Gumi) already finished the code pieces which will allow rEvolt to access data from TMW Legacy, and we (read: Micksha) already add a few items which will be available via merge program. We (read: Jesusalva) still haven't finished all this script core engine stuff yet; So we (read: TMWT) cannot really disclose how it will work. Because it is not finished yet.

What we do can tell, however, is that we will announce a Final Snapshot, probably shortly before or shortly after Doomsday Act 5 begins.
Whatever your player inventory/etc. is by the final snapshot, is what will be canon for the code which we haven't finished yet.
Ah, and you're indeed right players will need to learn how to drive again.
Real reason is because we will be switching towards Renewal mode, and this redefines several core rules (eg. Criticals no longer will ignore defense, and they will miss if defense absorbs the whole damage - to cite one).

Err, I don't want to drop the analogy, so - The old grandpa car was already banned from some of EU countries because its fuel destroys the atmosphere, the paint material is nocive to the environment (and you need to repaint every once in a while), steel is expensive (fun fact: TMWA uses almost a whole gigabyte of memory in normal operation, assuming an empty server).
(YES I am speaking about gasoline versus electrical cars, they are a good analogy)

Of course, our new car is, well, new. So you can't find fuel to it everywhere; Only a handful of factory-produced paint is available, etc.
But this is not a problem; If enough people adhere to the new car, they'll eventually desire these commodities. Some of them will see this as an opportunity! They'll open their own paint factories and gas stations to get the most profit!

While plastic have its quirks and drawbacks, we have a team of experts (read: A team of jak1) working on it furiously day and night, to find a way to solve the issues.

Err, the battery voltage change might have been a mistake! But our quality control team don't know this yet! However, Customer Support is always with their ears on the phone line; Ready to collect the drivers feedback and to request R&D to roll back to old battery voltage - But only if they conclude that it was indeed bad!

And this way, after a while, we expect the new car to be better than the old one could ever hope to be.

PS. If you want to check what the new car can do:
Spoiler:
I do encourage you to give a glance at Moubootaur Legends. You can think on it as the showcase car, the one which we (read: Jesusalva and Micksha) already filled with all the crap in to show you what we're able of.

Obviously, Moubootaur Legends was not, is not, and will not be meant to be in any way a replacement of TMW. Our new server (rEvolt) is meant to be made custom-sized, because our client (TMW) can be very exigent! So it takes a customization team, and an extra team and procedures of quality control only to ensure that, more than being competitive, that it can attend to our client needs.

(So keep in mind Moubootaur Legends was created with the "we are a game of our own" concept in mind, by a team which is NOT the mana world. Failure to keep this in mind will cause fun - sometimes annoying - misunderstandings which I every once in a while have to clear them up.)
Livio wrote: 18 May 2020, 08:01
prsm wrote: 17 May 2020, 23:43 I like this quote the best, and i gave it time to soak in!
Tomminator gained 5000 EXP!
Only 5000 EXP? What a rip-off, some dev, please put an extra zero to this! :alt--: :lol:

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Excellent! I believe that we don't need to ask about the future again and again.
We can wait and hope... Or better, contribute.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

jesusalva wrote: 18 May 2020, 17:49 Criticals no longer will ignore defense, and they will miss if defense absorbs the whole damage
The whole point of a critical is to ensure a hit under certain conditions. Criticals originally (dice games) where to ensure a hit, like aiming for an eye or making a head shot or hitting the spot with the missing scale on the dragon. They should always do some damage. That's what makes it a critical hit, but criticals were never meant to be a regular hit type and started to happen too often with rage and banshee, but those were created because too many mobs were hard to hit, even for higher level characters. If the crit system isn't finished I hope a critical would always do some damage... so a mob could have a high defence to scale back the full amount of the damage, but will always suffer some... 10%?
jesusalva wrote: 18 May 2020, 17:49 I've requested the final act to have voice acting. And a custom soundtrack.
From me? I remember talking about it, but all I remember was you saying, you found a soundtrack for a boss and if about voice acting, I'd need a script of some sort, but I think you said someone else was doing those sounds?

I ask again... because I can't contribute properly without git, apparently: Do I have push access to rEvolt and if so what is the title of the git? Evol2? If I appear confused at times, these are a few reasons. Things we need in game should appear in the forum. I have a sound request page listed, but never understood why it was on git. Much harder to find things there than here, and here the search is rough enough. Also, IDW to download a whole servers worth of files just so I can push one altered one. There has to be a better way than strict git for everything. A fast way to send an altered file or maybe a branch set aside for pushing temporary files till they get merged or deleted.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

jesusalva wrote: Well, yes. One of the reasons is because it is an endless pit of flamewars, so we did a reasonable agreement and, whatever code comes out from that agreement, is what will be.
I'd say I'd be more worried if there would be no such things. Dead silence is hallmark of dead places. But you're right about "endless" part, deadlocks are bad.
What we do can tell, however, is that we will announce a Final Snapshot, probably shortly before or shortly after Doomsday Act 5
I'd say it makes sense to create such snapshot when everyinth ready to chew on these data - so it captures all possible players as far as it can. To minimize "past date X efforts worth of nothing" issue. Players already ask this quite often.
Ah, and you're indeed right players will need to learn how to drive again.
It eventually makes sense, if ppl are ok with it. As Ford once told if he asks customers what they want, it would be "faster horses".
Real reason is because we will be switching towards Renewal mode, and this redefines several core rules (eg. Criticals no longer will ignore defense, and they will miss if defense absorbs the whole damage - to cite one).
Personally I'd say in current state of TMW(A) crits were more of bug than feature, esp with banshee. Though IIRC later got at least partially fixed.
Err, I don't want to drop the analogy, so - The old grandpa car was already banned from some of EU countries because its fuel destroys the atmosphere, the paint material is nocive to the environment (and you need to repaint every once in a while), steel is expensive (fun fact: TMWA uses almost a whole gigabyte of memory in normal operation, assuming an empty server).(YES I am speaking about gasoline versus electrical cars, they are a good analogy)
Generally I tend to agree, but it also got (ab)used as grounds for rampant surveyllance, vendorlocking, and to put it straight, the further road goes, the less it of car and the more it of a misbehaving vendor-locked spyware with hidden agenda, trying to extort money, spy and collect data. Electric cars unfortunately make it more convenient due to huge amounts of electric power available all the time.
Of course, our new car is, well, new. So you can't find fuel to it everywhere;...
Electric cars aren't new concept, it comparable to usual cars in age! Just been too impractical. In 70s US got hit by fuel crisis and tried real hard to go for it. It failed due to usability issues. And even now it quite dodgy, somewhere on the edge of acceptable parameters, despite arcane engineering tricks that make it complicated, fragile and expensive. So for me personally the only positive outcome has been overall improvement of power semiconductors. Oh btw, does word ManaServ rings a bell? Pretty much an attempt to create electric car of TMW world.
Err, the battery voltage change might have been a mistake! But our quality control team don't know this yet! However, Customer Support is always with their ears on the phone line; Ready to collect the drivers feedback and to request R&D to roll back to old battery voltage - But only if they conclude that it was indeed bad!
Decision to shuffle resources/GFX compared to plain TMW is hardly bug but rather a deliberate decision. Though many other things are surely like this.
And this way, after a while, we expect the new car to be better than the old one could ever hope to be.
My personal opinion is that I give 50/50 at best I would consider it "better car" for me.
PS. If you want to check what the new car can do:
I think you caught me: out of all techs of this flavour seems I like that one most so far. It a bit chaotic but that's how "TMW classic" always has been. If you're curious on this I guess I can write some "log" of adventures listing weird perils I've met. Oh, actually, one place in this world very explicitly asked me to do so XD. And, I'd be damned, this place not really showcases how your DeLorean flights to noobs fast'n'easy. When I'll get idea how it flies I'll try to suggest what to do to improve it.
Micksha) already filled with all the crap in to show you what we're able of.
Last time I've been here it felt far more TMWish than rEvolt did, for some reasons...
was created with the "we are a game of our own" concept in mind, by a team which is NOT the mana world.
I'd say out of that family of techs it probably closest to what could be called "game" on new serverside to the date. And it at least somehow chopped a bit overlylong Evol startup sequence. And even then, while I like storytelling, I guess there have to be option to opt out and take part in some MMOish action, etc. Doing "bring me 5 rat tails" quests for couple of days as something absolutely mandatory can get rid of plenty of players who are up for MMO action I guess - since there're no "cooperative battle" quests. And if I would be so obsessed on runnings small errands, I can just go out and apply as food delivery service courier in a local company - equally boring but at least would give 10x more adrenaline due to "plague" around.