Map/Area loading

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Map/Area loading

Post by Dr Wahl »

I have played other online games that have almost 0% loading of maps/areas in the entire game. Right now, every time you go from one area to another, there is at least 1 loading zone. Would it be possible to just load all the maps and have them be 100% seamless transition between them? Just one example would be Silk Road Online, or World Of Warcraft. The single player in Halo 2 has a very similar system.
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Post by Amethyst »

For people with dial-up this would take forever.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

i do not believe it would take that long due o the fact that most of the loading is done on the client side, plus, last that i checked, things usually dont cater to the dial up community. please correct me if i am wrong.
Amethyst
Novice
Novice

Post by Amethyst »

Dr Wahl wrote:i do not believe it would take that long due o the fact that most of the loading is done on the client side, plus, last that i checked, things usually dont cater to the dial up community. please correct me if i am wrong.
There are infact dialup gamers.
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

Since all of the maps images are already on your computer I don't think it should matter what your connection is, except for the install. I think this is more a limitation of the Aethna server. Hopefully we can do this on the new server though. (disclaimer: I am not a programmer and this does not constitute a promise of any features in the new server software. I tried to compile TMW and its dependencies on my own and it almost killed me.)
-Cosmostrator
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Indeed, all maps are stored by client side, server just sends message to the client what map to load and walkable area lists.

Regards.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

so maybe there could be an option somewhere that alows the user to specify how much/many maps/areas to load. The more that are loaded, the less cut between the maps. is this possible/viable from a programming standpoint?
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

It's perfectly possible to keep a map in memory instead of throwing it away, and reusing it when a player comes back to it. It would take around 1-2 MB of memory for each map plus the extra memory needed for keeping any temporarily unused tilesets around.

It's just a matter of somebody getting around to programming this.