Future TMW Server Prospectus

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Future TMW Server Prospectus

Post by Dave »

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I wonder occasionally about the potential for TMW to eventually grow in to a family of servers. When other serious servers do begin to emerge, what type of setting would you like to see the most? Also, with any of the possible genres, should Earth / "the real world" ever be depicted, instead of a completely fictitious environment?

Here are some things I'd love to see someday, in the TMW server list:

1. Something post-apocalyptic. Mostly because I love Fallout. :P ..and I think it'd be neat to use Earth for a world.
2. Star Trek and/or Star Wars. Though it'd never happen for obvious legal reasons. :cry:
3. Something using a classic Final Fantasy-style job system.
4. A PvP war game. Maybe with the whole deathmatch, capture the flag thing going on, though it could probably be a MMORPG, too.

We might not see any serious diversions from the first server, for quite a long time.. but I think it's a fun thing to think about, from time to time. I'd love to hear some other perspective on this.
Falcata
Novice
Novice

Post by Falcata »

I've actually got a campaign setting that I'm developing for my BESM group. It's a psionics and supernatural-heavy steampunk setting, with some traditional fantasy elements.
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Sci-fi cyberpunk RPG sounds really good :)
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

We should focus on a official server first, and since the game is GPL'd there is nothing against if anyone decides to make a sci-fi server.

BTW: Star Trek is not cyberpunk, and I hate the word "cyberpunk".

Regards.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Platyna wrote:We should focus on a official server first, and since the game is GPL'd there is nothing against if anyone decides to make a sci-fi server.

BTW: Star Trek is not cyberpunk, and I hate the word "cyberpunk".

Regards.
OT:
Star Trek is definitely not cyberpunk...In my opinion best cyberpunk movie is Blade Runner (although Matrix trilogy comes into consideration too) imho...
Dave
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dave »

If Akira can be classified as cyberpunk.. then I'd have to say that it's the coolest. I've only seen probably 3/4s of Blade Runner, but I think Akira is better. :P What I remember of Blade Runner was pretty neat though. ..and hey, there's a game inspired by it called Flashback, which is worth a glance if you've never played it.

I don't think anyone ever said that Star Trek was cyberpunk. I think it'd be neat to use just about anything with a good deal of the setting already in place, not just Star Trek / Star Wars. I wonder though, about the legal issues with some things, if you'd be able to get away with the portrayal because the game wasn't taking revenue. Platyna, any idea how something like that would play out? Could you say, "I can depict Star Wars, because I'm not charging people to play." ..? (I'm 95% sure I know the answer ;) )
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I would really like to see people using our software to build things we never expected. Some spinnoffs that go in completely different directions than heroic fantasy would be quite interesting. I could even imagine to use the TMW software for something that hasn't even much to do with classical RPG gaming.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.