Nice.

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Evancx
Peon
Peon

Nice.

Post by Evancx »

I've just joined TMW, and although some of the threads I've read say other wise(Hacks, etc..), I believe you guys have a piece of work here. :D The battle system is great, although I have yet to fully use it, due to that fact that TMW is still in beta and that I am still a newbie.

The game has a balanced challenge to it. Everything seem to be in the right place, every aspect tweaked until fit. The pixel work is wonderful, too. Every tile, down to each pixel is made just the right shade. Complements to whoever may be the pixel artist for TMW. It's not like some MORPGs, where the pixel work burns the rentinas of my eyes. :3

Although, my only quarrel with the game, atm is the fact that once you leave the newbie starter area, the lag is enormous! That is quite amazing, considering that there were only 10-15 players in the area, but is understandable, assuming the server cap is low.

Not that I was trying to suck up to the administrators with this opinionated 'essay' or sorts, but I would gladly work as an mod. I can do Photoshop art, and always loved to help out newer players, weather it be as your average player on Endless-online, or as a mod to 1 of a few other games I've moded.

Cheers,
Evancx.

Edit: Btw, some people from another MMORPG I play have already started their own TMW server, calling it Sirus-online. They plan to up in their own graphics, as well. http://www.Sirus-online.com (That may not be the link, just try googling if it's not.)
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Nice.

Post by Matt »

Evancx wrote: That is quite amazing, considering that there were only 10-15 players in the area, but is understandable, assuming the server cap is low.
Yeah Platyna, your server totally sucks :P

@Evancx: Or your pc specs are too low, try disabling the overlay effect.

edit:
Edit: Btw, some people from another MMORPG I play have already started their own TMW server, calling it Sirus-online. They plan to up in their own graphics, as well. http://www.Sirus-online.com (That may not be the link, just try googling if it's not.)
They aren't supplying the code so they're violating the GPL license this project is under.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We can always use help on the art sector in form of new tilesets, new equipment spritesheets, new NPCs or new monsters.

Note that we do not tell people what to do. Instead of that people who contribute to the mana world think for themself what is needed and just create it. Progress is usually reported in the art development forum. I would suggest you to read a bit in it to get an overview of what is currently happening. Here are some more links for you:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... he_project
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... evelopment
How to play around with TMW resource files
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Evancx wrote:I've just joined TMW, and although some of the threads I've read say other wise(Hacks, etc..), I believe you guys have a piece of work here. :D The battle system is great, although I have yet to fully use it, due to that fact that TMW is still in beta and that I am still a newbie.
Depends what do you consider a battle system - if technical implementation in the client - then it is great, if RPG schema then it sucks.
The game has a balanced challenge to it. Everything seem to be in the right place, every aspect tweaked until fit. The pixel work is wonderful, too. Every tile, down to each pixel is made just the right shade. Complements to whoever may be the pixel artist for TMW. It's not like some MORPGs, where the pixel work burns the rentinas of my eyes. :3
No kidding, our RPG system were severly damaged by several bugs in eathena, we have a pig to deal with - read the wipe threads.
Although, my only quarrel with the game, atm is the fact that once you leave the newbie starter area, the lag is enormous! That is quite amazing, considering that there were only 10-15 players in the area, but is understandable, assuming the server cap is low.
No. Our game is uber fast. I am running it at 1,2 Ghz CPU with Intel integrated graphic card and it works like a charm. See into your system configuration.
Not that I was trying to suck up to the administrators with this opinionated 'essay' or sorts, but I would gladly work as an mod. I can do Photoshop art, and always loved to help out newer players, weather it be as your average player on Endless-online, or as a mod to 1 of a few other games I've moded.
Actually you are trying to suck up. You may help without mod priviledge. And about photoshop art - it would be apreciated and very welcome however we are not giving moderator/game master priviledges as a reward for development work.
Where is the source? No source? Tsk, tsk, read the General Public Licence.

Regards.
Strump
Novice
Novice

Post by Strump »

WOHAHAHAHAH is very cool scjhiots. can i play in linux ?.
:D
Evancx
Peon
Peon

Post by Evancx »

Actually you are trying to suck up. You may help without mod priviledge. And about photoshop art - it would be apreciated and very welcome however we are not giving moderator/game master priviledges as a reward for development work.
It wasn't an attempt, but some may consider it to be that. I understand what you mean. I'd still gladly submit whatever work I do relating to TMW.

[/quote]
Where is the source? No source? Tsk, tsk, read the General Public Licence.

Regards.
Well, I have yet to read the GPL, but this doesn't really concern me. It's not my game. :p
Sertraline
Novice
Novice

Post by Sertraline »

GPL licensed works may be independently redistributed only on the condition that they too are GPL licensed, meaning any derivatives must be open source as well. Read more at Wikipedia.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I DLed it to see what was mentioned in it, seeing to see if it had the GPL or source included in it...

Well there was an about.txt file in it. Here is what it says:
<- @@index|Back to Index@@

##3 === ABOUT SIRUS ONLINE ===

##2Sirus Online (SO)##P is a serious effort to create an innovative free

and open source MMORPG. SO uses 2D graphics and aims to create a

large and diverse interactive world. It is licensed under the GPL,

making sure this game can't ever run away from you. Sirus Online is

based on The Mana World (TMW).

The project includes the development of both a client and a server,

as well as the development of an online world. At the moment we're

making alpha releases of the client, while our server is in early

development. We're currently using a highly modified version of

Raganarok's eAthena server. Our world is always under development,

and new releases are available constantly! We at Sirus Online,

hope that you enjoy your stay.
Looks like a !simple! modification of the official one. And I couldn't run that mod, since I'm on Linux.
But I do fail to see the source anywhere, so if anyone wants, I could easily ask on the forums where the source is. =\
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I've already contacted them yesterday and all will be fixed.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Okay ^_^
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-