Squaresoft is trying to clone us

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
dadaemon
Peon
Peon

Post by dadaemon »

Holy f*ck! A new Mana game?!

Those screens are btw fabulous! Do you have more info on it?!
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Looks like this is a game for nintendo DS, so I don't think we have to worry about a clone MMORPG.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I don't know anything about this "World of Mana" game, but those screens are old; concept art for SoM 3, as I recall.

This of course does beg the question: do we want to keep our name? If Square does indeed have a trademark on "World of Mana," "Mana World" might be close enough for them to get nasty at us.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

heh would be fun

since they can not do anything about that
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

When you're dealing with a large corporation, you can't be sure.

Example: McDonald's Corp, upon entering a new country, promptly sues any and all people already in that country owning restaurants by the name McDonald's. Even though these individuals were there first, and in some cases their individual restaurants are older than the McDonald's Corp (and as such had the name first), the big guys usually win, because nobody else has the resources to fight the long court battles that they do.
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Sue them sue them.

lol
Kyokai
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Kyokai »

Can Square sue us? We're not making any profit, so we have no money to give them... I think if it becomes a problem, they'll just ask us to change the name.

Really, no one has a copyright on Mana. It's like having a copyright on dragons. It's not done. So there should be no problem with using it in the title. Even if they were to say it is similar, the game itself and the story are so different from the original SoM that a connection would be hard to make.
The Mana World System Coordinator.
View the Systems
So what does the systems coordinator actually do? My job is to take your ideas for TMW and build them into working aspects of gameplay that can be implemented by the artists and programmers. If there's anything you think we can do better or differently, let me know.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

anyway would be good adertising for us hehe

like peple google for mana world and find this site here :)
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

Oh, crap... that could be bad as well, because if they get it patented they can ask us to stop using this name because its very similar, even though we were using it before them. Maybe we should email them or something, maybe they can give us a big royalty fee for using our name ;)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

nym wrote:Oh, crap... that could be bad as well, because if they get it patented they can ask us to stop using this name because its very similar, even though we were using it before them. Maybe we should email them or something, maybe they can give us a big royalty fee for using our name ;)
Wake up nym, you're still dreaming :roll:
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

benjamin
Peon
Peon

Judicial Watch

Post by benjamin »

my grandfather is involved with Judicial Watch. if you have any trouble, let us know.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

I hope for the best.
The problem with big corps nowadays is that the don't need to be right or to win on court, they just need to menace or sue you until you don't have enough economic resources. :?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

judicial watch? interesting, maybe your father can give us some suggestions about this topic?