Player Talk: Peceived abuse by Campers?

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Player Talk: Peceived abuse by Campers?

Post by Wombat »

Here you can discuss Perceived Abuse by Campers

Here is a little bit about camping from wikipedia:

Camping in computer gaming jargon describes the practice of a player staying in one area of the game world waiting for enemies or useful objects to appear or to come to the player rather than actively seeking them out. Players camp in order to gain an advantage over their opponents.

In most games, camping is a legitimate style of play. It often proves frustrating, particularly to newer players, as it rewards those who invest a considerable amount of time in the game (which allows them to know the layout of the maps and the best defensive positions); as well as those with very good aim. Among some players, camping is considered tantamount to cheating, especially in deathmatch-type games. The most common reason for this is that if every player camps, there will be no opportunities for players to come into conflict, and thus there will be no game at all. Those players choosing to camp are playing on the lack of patience in other players, counting on them to come after them first. Most deathmatch-type games have both a time limit and a kill limit. Camping is a strategy centered around taking advantage of the time limit instead of the kill limit. Camping is also seen as an unfair way of getting an advantage in the form of accumulated resources or a beneficial position.

However, the rise in technology of computer gaming allow the ability for the production of more tactical games or strategic games that account for morale, and increasingly the label is not viewed as derogatory. For example, Capture the Flag and its variants provide incentive to invade enemy territory, regardless of the risk, since scoring flags is more important than scoring frags. However, even in such games, some players may choose to camp to give covering fire for other team members attempting to grab the flag and run back with it. It is comparable to turtling.
Current character is "Abolish".
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Player Talk: Peceived abuse by Campers?

Post by Wombat »

Personally, I am going to disrupt the skull room camp and other camps on occasion. It isn't a major problem, but it is obvious that some of these new people play for two months and are at the same power level as people that invested 6 months from camping key locations. I encourage others to disrupt camps and make people sitting in the same spot for a few hours to roam around a little.
OnymA
Novice
Novice

Post by OnymA »

the new groupexperience provoke fighting in groups and camping...

but at least high lvl players get more exp in those fights so its balanced :arrow: i think
*wool producing*
jeto
Peon
Peon

Post by jeto »

Wombat wrote:Personally, I am going to disrupt the skull room camp and other camps on occasion. It isn't a major problem, but it is obvious that some of these new people play for two months and are at the same power level as people that invested 6 months from camping key locations. I encourage others to disrupt camps and make people sitting in the same spot for a few hours to roam around a little.
Weird. i always see you there camping too. What makes you different than all the others?
meeps
Novice
Novice

Post by meeps »

Personally, I am going to disrupt the skull room camp and other camps on occasion. It isn't a major problem, but it is obvious that some of these new people play for two months and are at the same power level as people that invested 6 months from camping key locations. I encourage others to disrupt camps and make people sitting in the same spot for a few hours to roam around a little.
That's a little too much if you ask me
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

If players were booted or banned because of camping per the Wikipedia definition, then most of TMW would be gone. The period of time I have played I don't see what players do as camping. I say that because the mob spawn is instantaneous. Once you kill a monster it pretty much returns once it's dead body has disappeared. Also group killing offers players higher exp points from kills and you are not prevented from joining in. As for drops of rare items, that can be an issue. Group killing helps to lessen critical blows to yourself. I get less critical hits while group killing.
As long as a player responds to a "Hi" while fighting then he is there next to keyboard. If there is no response then he/she is possibly botting and that is an offense and is dealt with by the admins.
Once you reach high levels it is hard to get any experience points unless you are in the Skull room. Same goes for the spider/black scorpion area for medium high players. You will see a group sitting in one place while a mob surrounds them.
I am just making observations from my point of view from playing the game. It would be nice if there were other things to do besides killing to improve your exp. Maybe in the future that will happen.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

The problem with people is they can't take care of their own Chocolate Cupcake themselves. Why should players perpetuate a police statelike snitch culture? Sure, botters, whatever, Duck them. Other than such abuses, most problems can be solved between players using everything that is game legal.

jeto, as I've stated to you and others, the skull room camp is where you get tons of xp. I cannot ignore this simple exploit when my peers and enemies take advantage of it daily. So these camps can be disrupted. If the devs can't see how the skull room camp is leveling characters faster than any other place in the game, then it is up to players to break the camp.

Camping shouldn't be "illegal", but players shouldn't accept camper rules either. I would prefer a constant moving force, but such forces only last for a while. I mean, at the moment I can play skull room camping and another video game, scramble eggs, play with my dog and generally just glance at the screen to make sure I say "hi" to the GMs when they make an appearance. To me, this is poor gameplay and while I can see people take some time out to clear a room or maybe stick it out for a while, I don't feel this game should give kudos or moral support to lame campers.

I personally liked it when the snake pit or the desert mountains was where we had to go. This was when the desert mountains wasn't constantly spawning mountain snakes. When the most xp is where movement is needed, there is much fun on the map it is occuring on and you will see more people moving around. I am not a dev, so I can't change the skull room, but I can decide if I'd rather camp or break a camp. I can organize other players to do the same as well. Super-xp camps may either need the xp changed or change where spawns occur on the maps to make players move, but until then players can act now to shake things up a bit.
whynotdad2
Peon
Peon

Post by whynotdad2 »

So reading Wombats posted he has admitted to coming in to the room to disrupt other players, and by his own admission these are "HIS PREFERENCES" for the game, so he is dicatating how everyone should play their game? Dude (and i mean that literally) develop your own game with your rules. (FYI I wont play)
Truth be known, when people come into the skulls, especially lower levels they rely on these "campers" as Wombat would call them to protect them, and we do. Wombat has been left to his own devices and has paid a very costly (potions) price or has died. We all take turns helping with the Demon mask, and on numberous occaisons ban together to give someone what they need to proceed on the Demon quest.

I congratulate Wombat on his apparently successful planing of raids and such. But leave your Dicatatorship to your own game, and leave other people, who prefer their game a different way alone.
jeto
Peon
Peon

Post by jeto »

Wombat wrote: If the devs can't see how the skull room camp is leveling characters faster than any other place in the game, then it is up to players to break the camp.
I completly disagree with you here.
The Devs and GMs do know this place. If they don't want it, they delete it.

As far as player are concerned... I am sure most player like that place. So if we make a survey, we will get a clear vote to let it stay how it is. Its a minority (so far i only seen you) who thinks its a bad thing.
CaitMonster
Peon
Peon

Post by CaitMonster »

Camping allows players who are weaker to be able to survive against stronger monsters, gain exp faster, and work with other players, which is a good thing. TMW encourages players to work together, or why else would exp go up with shared kills? I've witnessed the same thing with the two skulls in the mine, grass snakes, mtn snakes... if anything, I think the campers in the barrier room are a little more organized. Sure, there may be some people who are off doing other things, who "just glance at the screen to make sure [they] say "hi" to the GMs," but not everyone should be assaulted for that reason. Many players who camp there are personable, conversational, and using the map to the best of their advantage.

Using the map in this way, however, should not be considered an exploit. Characters there aren't doing anything they can't do elsewhere. There's a great spot with sea slimes you can stand in for hours, red slimes in the new mines are a favorite spot for me to find drops, and I camped out with some mtn snakes last night. If anything, the room might be considered a "design flaw" but certainly not an exploit. Personally, I think it's great that people are forced to work together to survive the room. There's a difference between making the best of the map, and manipulating something in a way it shouldn't be used. If the devs put monsters in a room, obviously they know people are going to attack, and that's the premise of the game.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Dad, you weren't in when I chased everyone out of the room and kept the room by myself for a couple of hours. I even had to think strategically to hold the place until more people showed up. It was much more fun because we ran back and forth to get skulls for a while then.

Players can have preferences and we can dictate them. Currently the campers are dictating their preferences and their constant presence makes it impossible for anyone else to "dictate" anything, so we must accept camper "order". I'm only offering another way which seems to come into conflict with the values of camping.

Player conflicts should be between players. Whynotcrybaby would rather lawyer it up in court than have fun. Oh yeah, he "retired"...how's that for camper gameplay? Aim to get 99 and leave the game as fast as possible folks...that's fun? My friend's Wayne and Garth probably would say "NOT!".
corndawg
Peon
Peon

Post by corndawg »

HOLD UP HERE.
Wombat, you claim you have a probem with camping, yet yesterday i was in the skull room while you where there, I left and 40 minutes or so later returned, you where still there. Its ok for you to camp but not ok for others to do so? How does this work again?
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Yup, I was disrupting camping yesterday. Y'all decided to be dicks and try to have me swarm killed, but I figured out how to hold the room without anyone. I move around, I potion up, I decimate swarms and I don't sit in one place watching "Law and Order" and eating yogurt with a half thought to game play when I do.
corndawg
Peon
Peon

Post by corndawg »

Were "dicks" because we dont play the game according to your standards?

All i can say is... its awfuly sad when people dont play the way you want them to pay, so you come on here and whine and cry like a 12 yea old school girl.
Grow up dude.
Last edited by corndawg on 10 Mar 2009, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

You are dicks for playing the game by your standards. Might want to read that sentence again. "Y'all decided to be dicks and try to have me swarm killed.."