Questions about magic

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
twiistedkaos
Peon
Peon

Questions about magic

Post by twiistedkaos »

Wiki didn't seem to have the answer I was looking for, Tried to understand it myself how ever that doesn't seem to be working very well. I have my general magic to level 2(touched mana seed twice). And trans to 2. When I got my general magic to level 2, all my experience "You feel perfect with your magic" changed back to "You feel over whelmed by your magic". Which I just understood as meaning: Magic leveled don't have comtrol over new spells yet. So for awhile I was casting level 1 spells to try to get it back to perfect, but that didn't seem to be changing the magic xp any. Figured: Hey! Maybe I need to use new spells. Tried that and it seemed to be working. Two spells I am using #manpahil to create lifestones. and #gole to create sulfur. I got the xp to change up to "You still feel overwhelemed by your magic... blah blah but are seeing patters". After hours of casting those two spells it has not moved any further. The first time around was much quicker, so my question is do I have to use level 2 spells to gain xp and if I do how much time is it going to take to get back to perfect? Oh... I got to trans 2 magic pretty quick, but for some reason elanore won't teach me another spell. Is it because my magic xp is so low for the 2nd level?
Main Character: Scylar lvl 70+
Alt Character: Folly lvl 40+

theboomboomcars
Peon
Peon

Re: Questions about magic

Post by theboomboomcars »

For Elanore wont teach you the level 2 healing until you have healed many different people. So just wander around and heal people that are fighting monsters for a while.
Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Post by Cotillion »

You do not need to cast only level 2 spells to gain magic experience, just any _alternating_ spells that yield mXP. Quick reference can be found at
Spoiler:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/User:Cotillion

Just remember to _alternate_ between spells, never cast the same spell again and again if you want to gain mXP.

Now, the second part of your question. Why is it taking longer to raise to 'perfect'. The answer lies in the formula. Your new max_experience with Level 2 is a much larger number, yet your growth of mXP is still limited to 1,2,or 3 mXP per cast. A snippit of the formula is below if you want to pick at it.

Lastly, Elanore wants you to be more proficient in life magic before she will teach you more. Focus on healing others with the heal-other spell you know, and remember to alternate in with your create lifestone spell. You will get the greater healing spell soon.

In short. You are on the right track.

ELSE IF level = 4
THEN max_experience = 40000;
ELSE IF level = 3
THEN max_experience = 8000;
ELSE IF level = 2
THEN max_experience = 1200;
ELSE max_experience = 100;

ratio = (10 * experience - random(max_experience / 30)) / max_experience; #Randomness: jitter a bit at the transitions to give more precise information if used frequently

IF ratio >= 60
THEN message(caster, "Magic flows naturally from you, readily and with ease. Your understanding of what you can currently control at present is flawless, far beyond your requirements to cast magic at this level." + " " + ratio + if_then_else(level >= MAX_MAGIC_LEVEL,""," Surely the Mana Seed will more than readily offer more magic for such a proficient user."));
ELSE IF ratio >= 45
THEN message(caster, "Magic flows naturally from you, readily and with ease. Your understanding of what you can currently control at present is flawless, far beyond your requirements to cast magic at this level." + if_then_else(level >= MAX_MAGIC_LEVEL,""," Surely the Mana Seed will more than readily offer more magic for such a proficient user."));
ELSE IF ratio >= 20
THEN message(caster, "You have perfect control of what you understand now, but there is now a distinct sensation of something more, something indescribable. If only the Mana Seed would give more magic to you...");
ELSE IF ratio >= 10
THEN message(caster, "You feel in perfect control of your magic" + if_then_else(level >= MAX_MAGIC_LEVEL,".",", and seem on the verge of something more... perhaps you should see the Mana Seed to ask for more magic?"));
ELSE IF ratio >= 9
THEN message(caster, "You feel in almost perfect control of your magic.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 8
THEN message(caster, "You feel that you have very good control of your magic.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 7
THEN message(caster, "You feel quite in control of your magic.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 6
THEN message(caster, "You feel mostly in control of your magic.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 5
THEN message(caster, "You feel somewhat in control of your magic.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 4
THEN message(caster, "You feel you still have a few difficulties in controlling your magic.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 3
THEN message(caster, "Trying to control your magic is still rather troublesome.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 2
THEN message(caster, "You feel that you have only the bare minimum of control over your magic.");
ELSE IF ratio >= 1
THEN message(caster, "You feel quite overwhelmed by your magic, but are beginning to see patterns.");
ELSE message (caster, "You feel completely overwhelmed by your magic.");
Last edited by Cotillion on 28 Jul 2010, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
twiistedkaos
Peon
Peon

Post by twiistedkaos »

Great thanks. Your wiki post made me think of another question though. For #flar Sulphur or School > 2. School is what Light or Dark(read it on wiki somewhere). Where do I choose schools?
Main Character: Scylar lvl 70+
Alt Character: Folly lvl 40+

Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Post by Cotillion »

twiistedkaos wrote:Great thanks. Your wiki post made me think of another question though. For #flar Sulphur or School > 2. School is what Light or Dark(read it on wiki somewhere). Where do I choose schools?
School is the type of magic. Looks like the wiki page is calling these 'skills'. So to cast flar-dart w/o using a Sulpher, you would have to have a War Magic of greater than 2 (which is not currently possible).

"Magic in The Mana World is made up of 6 different skills:
Magic (general magic)
Transmutation Magic
Nature Magic
Astral Magic
War Magic
Life Magic"

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Magic