With the development of other clients in particular the spell-to-shortcut idea implemented by 4144 it becomes possible now to instantly incant a spell with minimal keyboard input. What I propose is that a new "intelligence" based combat system is created that makes use of this. In particular to introduce new "spells" or keyboard shortcut actions. This will mean changing or creating a new action that is not 100% real accurate or giving these new actions a chance to fail.
What we have now is a simple point and click or target and attack action for combat. It is quite feasible to create new methods for attacks or even other effect actions.
Currently what we have is Player A attacks a monster with a basic melee action.
The new idea would be Player A attacks the monster with a melee attack but when he/she sees the monster about to do their attack action they can instantly press the shortcut to send the command action/"spell" in the chat tab to do a "Block" action to minimise or completely nullify incoming damage. This will use up some mana for each use.
Similarly, Player A is being attacked by archer Player B so Player A presses the shortcut to use a deliberate "dodge" action to increase the evasion for 1 attack. Again this will use up some mana for each use.
These defensive actions mean that actually the defence % values for armour+shield items should drop so that players must deliberately focus much more points to vitality to only be hurt by 1HP damage by most monsters.
Another situation with melee fighters:
I suggested this in another topic but briefly. Int-warrior Player A could expend all their mana as a single attack action to be used for damage against Player B. This can be explained as a highly focus demanding attack.
Alternative, a focus/use up all mana attack that does AOE around the player like a cleaving/martial arts pole attack (think of Neo ).
For ranged players:
Another focus based attack where the archer can have an extended range or do a straight line AOE attack using up all/% of mana for the single attack.
AOE attacks should be implementable as we've seen with raining arrows.
- Lets botters continue to a lesser degree since they'll be able to still use these actions (no one can deny it can't be programmed in) but they'll have to focus much more points into vitality than before minimising their damage->exp gained+chance of getting drops.
- Players can by focusing more on int be able to time blocks+dodges so they can keep the vit they have and still have a chance to do other spells as well as actions too.
- Increasing intelligence also boosts survivability in terms of M. Defence
- Opens a completely new way of playing which is more fun
- More time required developing this idea less on other things
- More complexity in balancing the game
- Still allows botting to some degree