woodland content: theatre + cave

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

enchilado
Knight
Knight

woodland content: theatre + cave

Post by enchilado »

I have made a Theatre building intended for players to host their own plays if they wish to (I know I would like to at some point). To access the stage, players must be warped by a GM using the command @charwarp 017-backstage 25 25 charname - I assume it's okay to give this responsibility to the GMs? After all, I doubt plays will be hosted often, and GMs are contacted to announce drop parties anyway.

The Theatre stands on a slightly modified 017-1. A ledge that was previously non-accessible can now be reached via a cave that I mapped myself onto an unused corner of the cave map 013-3 (I can move it to a new map, 017-3, if you'd rather - but the space was there). There are two indoor maps, 017-2 for the stage room and 017-backstage for the backstage, but I can combine them if that's better.

Monsters spawning in the cave are Bats, Silkworms and Cave Snakes. On the Ledge I've added a Gamboge Herb spawn in the garden, and some Logheads.

Ledge:
Cave:
Theatre:
Backstage:

The story is that the Troupe Leader in Tulimshar purchased the abandoned theatre and is letting the citizens of Hurnscald perform in it. I've also edited the Troupe Leader's script slightly, so rather than just saying "I'm the leader of a travelling theatre troupe," or whatever, she mentions the theatre as well.

The theatre also uses a couple of new tiles.

Zip file data containing the folders graphics and maps, which contain - respectively - the modified tileset under tiles and the four map files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxy0mzzj5md

And the modified NPC script:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mrjnmwmthcm
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Re: woodland content: theatre + cave

Post by swimmy »

Great! :shock:
who was...
August Knight
Novice
Novice

Post by August Knight »

Looks great!
I like how its using the far north woodland.

My only suggestions
add some seating for the guests and spectators in the theater section.

most theaters have a "foyer" or large common hall before the main theater for guests to mingle as the show is set up, actors prepare, a good place to push a few "shops" for sale of treats and such.

maybe add curtains? (I have no clue how that would work)
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Well, I suppose I could have had the thing as one map with curtains as a fringe layer. From the viewing area (which I could add seats to, but I don't think people will mind sitting on the floor), you wouldn't be able to see past the top of the curtains if they were high enough. Actors could stand in front of the curtains, and also walk through them, up a way and into the backstage area. But I think it'll work like this.

EDIT:

Apparently the Mediafire downloads didn't work, so here's the .zip file and the NPC script as attachments:
Attachments
troupe_leader.txt
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
data.zip
(101.1 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Sorry for double-posting. Here is the data .zip again - without the edited tileset: maps only. Collision should be fixed now, and the warps all have .tmx removed from the destination map.
Attachments
data.zip
(28.98 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Your new caves still have collision issues. None of the warps are working. Please change them to align to the grid and span whole tiles (in Tiled-Qt, just hold control when moving and resizing and they'll snap to the grid).

Edit: Also rename 017-backstage to 017-9 or something.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Oksy, should be better now. -_-
Attachments
data.zip
Cough, better. Yeah, cough.
(28.91 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The collision layer for the new cave is still bad. Any tileset tile will cause collision, even if it's an empty tile. Only truly empty tiles (made with the eraser tool) are walkable.

EDIT: Some warps are still broken too. I'm just going to go ahead and fix it all myself.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The maps and the server data for them are in git now.
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by swimmy »

who was...
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

@Amun: That never crossed my mind, er. I added a bed because I recently went and saw a play and pretty much the only prop was a bed, that was there for almost every scene. It worked extremely well.

And you're surprised it was added because it's a waste? Sure, it doesn't have much of a use, but a waste of what? My time? A waste of my time? That's mine to decide, thank you. I do plan to put on plays here (dunno if anyone will come though) but I've been busy lately.

@Swimmy: I didn't map the ledge, so that plant error must have been there already... however, I'm fixing the maps soon and I can do that. Thanks for pointing it out. The collision error I'd already noticed.

And... the cave is supposed to have monsters in it. The spawns aren't working, though. Hopefully that will be fixed as well.

Thank you both for your opinions.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Lord of the Flies wrote:I'd like to make a personal map too! and have the Devs add it! Mine will be a hell tileset with a throne made of bones. After I am done grinding for the day or night I will retreat to my hell realm and go afk on my thrown. People can come if they want and worship me :) hrmmm.... Some statues of kage in his devil mask might be a nice touch too! It will add to the hellish atmosphere. Whatcha think?
When you would create a new tileset for this...
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.