TMW JAIL

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Re: TMW JAIL

Post by Katze »

Nice idea, but very old. 8)

I had that idea (or similar) more than one and a half year ago and we discussed it very much internally. I think Jaxad even started to make such a map. dunno what became of it.

and we were even thinking of some more advanced warning system which gets you into prison automatically at some point. :roll:

:(
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
yourmistakes
Knight
Knight

Post by yourmistakes »

i really like this idea, i've seen it in action on Gui's server, and it is great. everytime i go there, i can always see some spammers holed up in there. :P
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

:lol:

the idea of years back was to make it impossible for them to speak to each other nor whisper to outside players or anything. Maybe only be able to talk to GMs when they visit. Dunno if that's the best solution, but with a prison you need to be careful to not make it something which makes people to break the rules just to be able to go there, just like the bot check area... ;)

That is why we were thinking about a visiting area as well with limited time to stay and/or some border that makes you be unable to speak talk to the prisoners.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Just a bad idea. The only reason jail works in the real life, is because you are attached to your body. You can not leave your body any time you want, go to another body, do what ever you want. You just cant do it.

So what is jail going to do? It is going to make everyone created a character for spamming, botting, or what ever activity that you are going to send them to jail for and do it anyway.

Once they are tossed in jail they simply log into another account, continue play all they want. How is jail any different then an hour ban? And a hour ban does nothing to stem the tide of spammer does it?

You are trying to make a public scene out of someone that is ok to be a public scene out of. IF they are spamming, or what ever crime you are going to convict them of, they are doing it in public anyway. So it is not like you are going to publicly humiliate them. So why not just ban them.

Most arguments that end up with someone getting an hours time out, ends up with a alt coming back online minutes later.

If you really want to stem the tide of spammers, then give the gm's more laws to follow.

First warning of for spamming, zero penalty.
Second warning for spamming, removal of all gold.
Third warning for spamming, removal of all items
Forth warning for spamming, one level removed.
Fifth warning for spamming, 24 hour ban.

At least they have some skin in that mess, they will lose all the money they collect, all the items, and one level, before they are banned.

But jail is no different then a 1 hour ban. Anyone that thinks this is a good idea only wants to toss rotten fruit at the inmates and really cares less about reducing the reason they are going to jail.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Lord of the Flies wrote:Dunno DW that seems a little harsh to me.
You are right, it is a little too harsh, thank you for pulling me back. But my point still stands, if you make the punishment something real, like gold, items, or levels it will stick better. Right now everyone that plays this games has time. If you ban Dark Water, I would just turned on the client, have her sit in the jail, and run around with the other 40 or so characters I have. 1 down 40 to go!

Sending a child to their room only works when their room is boring. If the child has a 60 inch tv, full gaming pc, blu ray, cellphone, and one of the consoles, sending them to their room is what they want.

You can not make them be there, what every you decide they have to do, a bot can do it for them. You can not ban all the ip address, because I can have 140 ips in a few seconds. If you think that behavior of people have hit the point of jail, then increase the fines for breaking the law.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

LtBK-Club wrote:Well, well, well ... back to TMW gameplay I believe that the actual range of punishments, commonly applied by GMs, have already shown sufficient and numerous "side and counter-effects", that it doesn't seem necessary to open a new door to failures and repressive attitudes here.
We are assuming that there is a problem here.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

MrWho wrote:If they get 1 hour ban they can also login with another account and keep spamming or whatever. One hour bans are not ip bans.
Which would be no different then jail, you can not do ip bans, because ip's can be changed in a heartbeat. I could just use one ip, let say Kansas, for my spammer, then use Northern California for my 2nd spammer, London for my 3rd and 4th, and then spoof an ip from platyna herself, to get her banned to.

So jail would not offer anything more then 1 hour bans.
MrDudle
Peon
Peon

Post by MrDudle »

I read this topic and created a map for a jail. Easy enough map being no player usable warp points are necessary. Has bigger cells for people receiving day plus sentences and smaller ones for people getting a time out. I'll upload the map at a later point.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

MrDudle wrote:I read this topic and created a map for a jail. Easy enough map being no player usable warp points are necessary. Has bigger cells for people receiving day plus sentences and smaller ones for people getting a time out. I'll upload the map at a later point.
hehe, nice. :mrgreen:

I still think that, if people can't behave in jail, they should also get a ban as an increase of punishment.

Edit: what's the name of that map? and what are the coordinates for the cells?
Der Loisl
Novice
Novice

Post by Der Loisl »

If the map gets into the game at some point, you should disable any magical activity on it, otherwise the player can still cast his spells and level up. The same conserns for whispering.

The idea of having something like visiting hours is quite good in my opinion.
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

Yes, like I already said: whispering might cause problems. And magic might of course as well.

And we need to have some sort of testing period to see how it really works out, I think.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Trade should be locked too. Perhaps a special "jail" mapflag that disables these activities, wouldn't be hard.

OT: Why are we not using the mapflag that causes people to randomly drop unequipped items every X steps? It could be so much fun :lol:
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

:lol: you're so eveil :mrgreen:

Will you make such a "mapflag" thingy?
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

Katze wrote:And we need to have some sort of testing period to see how it really works out, I think.
You guys are actually still considering this? Wow, ok, no cure for stupid. Go right ahead, the backlash from the community should be amusing.
Mahatma Gandhi wrote:“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
BUT, you are offering security for freedom.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

I will leave you with a quote from one of my favorite people, john adams.
John Adams wrote:Your Description of the Distresses of the worthy Inhabitants of Boston, and the other Sea Port Towns, is enough to melt an Heart of Stone. Our Consolation must be this, my dear, that Cities may be rebuilt, and a People reduced to Poverty, may acquire fresh Property: But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrender their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it…
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I still see no reason why we should spend what limited resources we have to make content exclusively for those that break the rules.

Even if someone does and has it all ready to go, I still do not want this to be on production; it *will* backfire in exactly the same way that some people desire to go to the botcheck area and are prepared to pretend to break the rules to do this. Even worse, the proposed jail here seems be be an in-universe punishment - the botcheck area is even less, explicitly designed to be as ugly as possible to avoid players wishing to use the area for in-universe (I hesitate to say role-playing with out current playerbase :P ) purposes.

I strongly oppose this idea. Those that break the rules should be punished with a ban, not rewarded by being able to explore a new area (in new ways, if it is to be publicly accessible otherwise).

If you really can't live without some form of cool and unusual punishment if you're feeling particularly sadistic one day, @charoption 3 0 0 <charactername> to turn them to stone; you can then recall them or warp them wherever (leave them next to the soul menhir as a new garden ornament or something.)

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated