[FND] ooh looky a rock...

All development of pixel art and graphics
User avatar
meway
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:02 am
Location: Detroit MI
Contact:

[FND] ooh looky a rock...

Post by meway » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:33 am

Here is a rock I made with intentions of making a tutorial on. Its not perfect so maybe I should try again.
Attachments
Final.PNG
Final.PNG (781 Bytes) Viewed 1704 times
Last edited by meway on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sookill
Peon
Peon
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 pm

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by Sookill » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:02 pm

meway wrote:Here is a rock I made with intentions of making a tutorial on. Its not perfect so maybe I should try again.
Sorry but doesn't look anything like a rock.
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by Crush » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:51 pm

What kind of tutorial?

For an ingame tutorial?

Or for a tutorial on pixel art? When this is the case it would help when you would mention what exactly you want to point out with this graphic.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
meway
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:02 am
Location: Detroit MI
Contact:

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by meway » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:15 pm

have another.
Attachments
rock.PNG
rock.PNG (754 Bytes) Viewed 1621 times
gor
Newly Registered User
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by gor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm

meway wrote:have another.
this rock is much better than the first but it's still too flat

please read this tutorial about rocks
http://pixel-zone.rpgdx.net/shtml/tutmini-rocks.shtml
User avatar
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by Wombat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Comments deleted. Please attempt to offer development comments rather than approval/disapproval short comments. Comments responding to this comment will be deleted.
Current character is "Abolish".
User avatar
meway
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:02 am
Location: Detroit MI
Contact:

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by meway » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:06 am

gor wrote:
meway wrote:have another.
this rock is much better than the first but it's still too flat

please read this tutorial about rocks
http://pixel-zone.rpgdx.net/shtml/tutmini-rocks.shtml
lol those don't fit our style I'm not interested in making rocks anyways this pretty much turned into a troll thread when enchi touched it the first time. At least there is an attempt to keep topic though, thanks wombat.
gor
Newly Registered User
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by gor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 pm

meway wrote:
gor wrote:
meway wrote:have another.
this rock is much better than the first but it's still too flat

please read this tutorial about rocks
http://pixel-zone.rpgdx.net/shtml/tutmini-rocks.shtml
lol those don't fit our style I'm not interested in making rocks anyways this pretty much turned into a troll thread when enchi touched it the first time. At least there is an attempt to keep topic though, thanks wombat.
too bad, i had a wip about this topic :(

Image
User avatar
meway
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:02 am
Location: Detroit MI
Contact:

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by meway » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:06 pm

No no no, please continue your rock looks good so far and you have a very nice interesting sense of color pallet. its kinda pearly.
User avatar
lien
Novice
Novice
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 am
Location: France

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by lien » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:16 pm

gor wrote:
too bad, i had a wip about this topic :(

Image
should you try a texture less smooth ?
what about that ( I took your outline)?
Image

Lien ...
Image
User avatar
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1532
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by Wombat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

We do need stones that don't look like granite. I'd like to see the white stone with more detail, rather than making it look like the other stones.
Current character is "Abolish".
gor
Newly Registered User
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by gor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:01 pm

lien wrote:
gor wrote:
too bad, i had a wip about this topic :(

Image
should you try a texture less smooth ?
what about that ( I took your outline)?
Image

Lien ...
i followed your idea, here's my version
Image

this is the dyable version
Image

Wombat wrote: We do need stones that don't look like granite. I'd like to see the white stone with more detail, rather than making it look like the other stones.
i have this small rock too
Image

i will draw other versions after the weekend.

i post a tutorial about rocks, it's general art but some of you might find it helpful
http://www.ehow.com/how_2151608_draw-rocks.html
User avatar
meway
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:02 am
Location: Detroit MI
Contact:

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by meway » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 pm

Make sure your light is hitting more of your bottom right side of the rock. These rocks look great gor. limit your pallet to 7 colors if it can be helped. This makes it easier to mimic an art style. I did not actually look at your pallet but Its just a good thing to know.
gor
Newly Registered User
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by gor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:52 pm

I added some details.

Image

i'm still not completely satisfied with it.
User avatar
enchilado
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:21 am
Location: evermore a GUY

Re: ooh looky a rock...

Post by enchilado » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm afraid Meway got it wrong. The lightsource is in the South-West, so the bottom-right side of the rock should have in fact been darker. The rock looks very flat now.

Also, watch your anti-aliasing! It's very easy to overdo it. Personally, I avoid it like the plague, but I don't think that's in our graphics guidelines.
Post Reply