a question for the programmer(s) of the game

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

a question for the programmer(s) of the game

Post by Guest »

hi, that was my junk post below. sorry about that, i was testing if i could post here or not without a log in.

anyway, on to the questions:

how long has this game been in development? did you write the engine from scratch? what language and API's (for graphics,networking,everything) are you using?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

The game really started on April of this year.
Yes I wrote the engine from scratch, even if I had some experience in my past projects.
We're using C/C++ and the Allegro lib is used for every multimedia related stuff. About networking evry OS uses its natively support.

Post by Guest »

what networking API are you using though?

thanks.
krismichael
Novice
Novice

Post by krismichael »

is there a reason you don't want to login? what's the interest in the programming? are you starting a game of your own. :wink:
It's not my fault I'm new here! :)
Sull
Novice
Novice

Post by Sull »

"cenventional" API are used winsock api on win32 and unix-socket-call on linux no library or whatever ;)

Post by Guest »

hey guys,

sorry, im just a little too lazy to register =). yes, i am a developer myself, and was very impressed by the game when i checked it out. i was just curious how you guys made it and stuff. im working on a multiplayer 2d RPG myself.

theres one thing that im really curious about... you guys use the RO server or something? how does this work? i mean, im guessing their code is open source, so you are using their server? but, i just dont understand, how could you just use their server for your own game? i mean, theres probably a million different messages that that server receives that you would have to go in and change to fit your own game, i would think it would be easier just to write your own server...
krismichael
Novice
Novice

Post by krismichael »

We are using something called "eAthena." It's a RO server emulator.

http://eathena.deltaanime.net/forum/portal.php

Eventually we will end up writing our own server, however for now it does the trick.
It's not my fault I'm new here! :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

As Kris said, it does the trick for the moment since we're not changing the messages the server sends to the client. But don't worry will work on our own server very soon (I can say a project about that has already been started)