Factions

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Factions

Post by Wombat »

Lately, factions have been brought up. Talk about the factions you'd like to see or make.
Current character is "Abolish".
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Factions

Post by veryape »

Don't we have factions in game already, just called guilds.

Or do you meen factions in game with npc's tied to them? Something like the "dark path mage-council" and stuff like that?

If it is tied to in-game actions and gives you slightly different possibilitys to gain faction related stuff i am all for it, like a blessing once a day that gives a slight buff to some atribute for say 10 minutes or so, that would be cool.

I'm thinking about something as factions in the fallout series of game, where you choose side and gain advantages and disadvantages according to who you are allied with, that would be really cool.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

veryape wrote:Don't we have factions in game already, just called guilds.

Or do you meen factions in game with npc's tied to them? Something like the "dark path mage-council" and stuff like that?

If it is tied to in-game actions and gives you slightly different possibilitys to gain faction related stuff i am all for it, like a blessing once a day that gives a slight buff to some atribute for say 10 minutes or so, that would be cool.

I'm thinking about something as factions in the fallout series of game, where you choose side and gain advantages and disadvantages according to who you are allied with, that would be really cool.
The idea of guilds exists, but for now it's completely irrelevant to gameplay, it's more like a big party with a different chat tab.
I believe Wombat meant NPC factions, I don't know how that would work, but it would be a good idea to use them to expand on the pvp side of the game (which is very poor at the moment), maybe new pvp areas where players can decide what faction to join and fight for, with a point system or a new type of currency that lets you buy faction specific gear/items, maybe even the ability to fight enemy guilds anywhere in the game (possibly not in the cities) with a on/off pvp flag for people who don't like pvp, like a WoW normal or RP server.

Guilds are a whole different thing, IMO they need their own topic to discuss possible improvements (or even just support, current guilds are a chat tab that exists through a bot).

TMW Team member

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Yeah, I meant NPC factions. So the politics in the game presents some. The conflict between good and evil centered on magic and the direction one can take with it, should probably be played up more. We don't have a large player base, so maybe we just need a good/evil axis and a way for good players and evil players can do battle on particular maps?

What would a good vs. evil battle map need to make it interesting? I like capture the base or some mini-game like it. A stronghold with a faction soul menhir that only works with those in stronghold's controlling faction, to respawn. The base needs to be occupied for a certain amount of time to become the controlling faction of the stronghold. To switch control, it needs to be occupied by an opposing faction without the controlling faction present. For example, let's say the map has 5 strongholds. Characters participating in the faction war would be dumped at a beginning spawning site or at random on the map, then make there way to attempting to occupy the strongholds on the map, fighting the opposing faction as they come into contact with them. The first faction to get all 5 strongholds "wins" a point and the map is reset.

It doesn't have to be good/evil..but maybe we should just establish a few fixed factions or make it so people could randomly switch factions? The switching of factions would help to even out faction wars..
Current character is "Abolish".
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

This looks like ragnarok's castles, that are supposed to work with guilds. Guild code still exists and is fuctional though disabled, I don't know about castles. Unfortunately, TMW Brasil server is down so you cannot test the only existing trials to make a consistent pvp and strongholds in a TMW-like game. I'd be glad to see guild code reenabled but it seems that there is strong unjustified opposition so I wish you good luck with it.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

What's the point to mess with "factions" if there is no proper server-side support? At very most all "support" comes to the fact there is some strange "guild" bot, which is not a proper guilds support at all. It only could relay chat messages. Server is completely unaware who is in which group. Hence group membership can't be applied to game mechanics anyhow. Then there are no races. So all players are utterly equal in terms of game mechanics.

Normally (e.g. in other games) server explicitly knows who is in which faction/race/group/etc - this allows to have some advanced gameplay features (like guild wars or potentially hostile races or different treatment by some NPCs). Not a case in TMW. Here we can't even see if some player is a member of some guild. At very most there're parties. But parties are small and normally they're meant to be dynamic, task-oriented groups, assembled for some particular task. E.g. if someone is "going to do illia quest", its very logical to create party for that task and then all members join it, so they can watch each other health, etc. Once it's completed, party disappears. This is how it normally works in decent MMORPGs with proper server design. But since there is no way to have other kinds of groups correctly, players used parties for long-term interactions instead. Which is just quick and dirty workaround for long-standing technical problems.

P.S. and btw it could be nice to have some killable NPCs ("guards") who would fight back if attacked. This way usually used to make some distant locations more "alive" with some automated NPCs walking, fighting and so on. I even seen implementation where "guards" NPCs would kill monsters if they try to attack player on a "secured" area. Overall it makes places to look far less "dead" and "static" (one of most troublesome parts of TMW to my taste). This is also often referred as "factions" or "tribes" in RPGs. And that's where players could face different treatment, up to guard NPCs attacking him if player did something really wrong for his reputation in this tribe/faction.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

t3st3r wrote:P.S. and btw it could be nice to have some killable NPCs ("guards") who would fight back if attacked. This way usually used to make some distant locations more "alive" with some automated NPCs walking, fighting and so on. I even seen implementation where "guards" NPCs would kill monsters if they try to attack player on a "secured" area. Overall it makes places to look far less "dead" and "static" (one of most troublesome parts of TMW to my taste). This is also often referred as "factions" or "tribes" in RPGs. And that's where players could face different treatment, up to guard NPCs attacking him if player did something really wrong for his reputation in this tribe/faction.
This is sort of doable; you can flip a being between being an NPC and a mob, and you can sometimes assign a mob a target. This could probably be improved with small code changes.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Quinny
Peon
Peon

Post by Quinny »

I like this idea. In other games I have played there where areas that belonged to each faction and nutreal areas. However with the way things are mapped now this may need for more mapping. If and when this could happen then maybe add the npc's that could walk around and "guard" the ways into certain areas. This doesn't have to be pvp all the time just fun little stuff to add to the game and maybe add quests based off your choicen faction. I do not know what would be need for any of this I wish I could help but just ideas to through out there.

On your capture the stone idea this could work similar to the pvp area, when spawned in to the area it may choose you to be on team x or y also based on your faction and like it is now if there are not enough players it wont start. I do like to pvp sometimes but I don't like that it would be all the time and I don't think if we made pvp an all the time thing I could make us loose a few more ppl I think.
sacriopsmen
Novice
Novice

Post by sacriopsmen »

Personnaly I think there is too many people in Hurnscal and it's pretty annoying that the rest of the maps are barely empty. It's a MMORPG if the people are just staying in one place, then, it will even be easier to play alone than to search some partners. I personnally think there should be a town based faction system. I also thought about a town storage, or a shop where only the innhabitants of a town can buy and sell.

Well it's just some ideas.