simple but useful change

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

donkyhotay
Peon
Peon

simple but useful change

Post by donkyhotay »

Make it so that the stats you level up are in line with what they correspond too. For example right now agility is the second stat down which primarily corresponds to your evasion and accuracy but to someone starting out it looks like agility corresponds to defense (in some games defense isn't how well you can take a hit but how well you can dodge it). So I think we should either line up the stats so they better correspond with each other or at least put a little note by them telling what they do.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Yep, I think this is a good idea. It would also be a simple thing somebody could work on who doesn't know this project well, but who'd like to get involved with coding a bit.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

i'd be willing to do this ... just point me to the right spot in the code.

also, i had another idea to throw in along the line of stats ... physical attributes based on age (time spent playing the game, playing not idling, not sure how to determine that). common male attributes would be height, weight, hair length, muscularity (gotta be a better word for this), etc. female attributes might be height, weight, hair length, bust, etc.

these attributes work on a sliding scale (some can only increase, but some can either increase or decrease) and maybe it would be only like 5 or 10 points each (or more). but over the course of the game you can only age so much, so you have to carefully decide which attributes you want to upgrade. after you get to a certain age you stop aging. think of it as each new character enters the mana world as a child, and grows up along the way.

these attributes can effect how a character can look (maybe not in the spriteset right now but maybe some day down the road) and what weapons/armor can be equipped. like a male who is short shouldn't be able to equip a spear that is classified as a long spear (one that is longer than him) that would throw off his center of balance. with hair length (i'm guessing that barber shops are going to eventually be added that way your not stuck with the same hair style) you can only get a hairstyle that corresponds with your hair length. and only people with short hair also can equip wigs which can be a helmet armor subclass, some wigs having special abilities. as for the bust attribute, a female can't equip certain armor (maybe even the best armor) if there is nothing there to protect (cough) ...
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

zick wrote:i'd be willing to do this ... just point me to the right spot in the code.
You can find the sourcecode of the status dialog on our subversion repository in:

tmw/branches/0.0/src/gui/status.cpp
tmw/branches/0.0/src/gui/status.h
also, i had another idea to throw in along the line of stats ... physical attributes based on age (time spent playing the game, playing not idling, not sure how to determine that). common male attributes would be height, weight, hair length, muscularity (gotta be a better word for this), etc. female attributes might be height, weight, hair length, bust, etc.

these attributes work on a sliding scale (some can only increase, but some can either increase or decrease) and maybe it would be only like 5 or 10 points each (or more). but over the course of the game you can only age so much, so you have to carefully decide which attributes you want to upgrade. after you get to a certain age you stop aging. think of it as each new character enters the mana world as a child, and grows up along the way.

these attributes can effect how a character can look (maybe not in the spriteset right now but maybe some day down the road) and what weapons/armor can be equipped. like a male who is short shouldn't be able to equip a spear that is classified as a long spear (one that is longer than him) that would throw off his center of balance. with hair length (i'm guessing that barber shops are going to eventually be added that way your not stuck with the same hair style) you can only get a hairstyle that corresponds with your hair length. and only people with short hair also can equip wigs which can be a helmet armor subclass, some wigs having special abilities.
Interesting ideas, but impossible to implement on eAthena. You might want to write a wiki article about it so we can consider using it on the new server.
as for the bust attribute, a female can't equip certain armor (maybe even the best armor) if there is nothing there to protect (cough) ...
Realism is less important than fending off eratic feminists who complain about female characters being discriminated.

Any advantages or disadvantages depending on gender - even when marginal and well balanced - would cause heated debates I would prefer to avoid.

There is a reason why most pen&paper rpg systems make every character attribute influence the abilities of your character including the effect of the length of your toenails on your movement speed, but carefully avoid to give any boni or mali for gender. The furthest they go is to "encourage" to take gender differences into account when distributing attributes and skills.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

what i meant by the bust attrib is more along the lines of if the bust is under a certain value the character can only equip tank tops or t-shirts as opposed to a bra, or even some kind of high level metal chestgaurd thingy, and as we know a t-shirt is not going to protect you like a metal chestgaurd will ... no offense to women anywhere.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

also i guess te same applies to men, so that its fair and balanced (like fox news!) ... maybe the muscularity attribute determines how heavy his armor can be.