TMWServ Development Report June 2007

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

TMWServ Development Report June 2007

Post by Crush »

After the stagnation of the server development in the last months we managed to complete a big step forward: The provisoric monster AI. Monsters now register when they are hit by a player, chase the attacker and attack it back.

In addition Guillaume "Silene" Melquiond has returned from his long period of inactivity and fixed a lot of issues in the servers sourcecode.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
ogberi
Peon
Peon

Post by ogberi »

Does this mean the tactic of "One player hits the monster and leads it around while another player hacks it to death from behind" is over with? If so, poopie. That was an efficient way to kill 'em.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That strategy won't work on the new server. Monsters choose their targets based on how much total damage they got by each target and how far this target is away.

But it will work well to have a tough melee fighter attacking the monster on close range while a ranged attacker (archer or spellcaster) attacks from far away.

Later when the scripting engine is implemented we will implement the monster AIs with individual scripts for every monster type. This will allow us to create monsters with much more individual behavior. Monsters that flee when they are hurt, monsters who target healers or damage dealers specifically, monsters who help each other... everything will be possible. You will all have a lot of fun with analyzing the behavior and outsmarting each type of monster. And we will have much fun with updating the scripts to foil your tactics :twisted:
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jetryl
Novice
Novice

Re: TMWServ Development Report June 2007

Post by Jetryl »

Crush wrote:In addition Guillaume "Silene" Melquiond has returned from his long period of inactivity and fixed a lot of issues in the servers sourcecode.
*tips hat*

Silene is good at what he does; you're lucky to have him around. :)