Shadow Layer

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Shadow Layer

Post by leeor_net » 07 Feb 2008, 03:45

I'm not sure if this topic belongs here or elsewhere so if it's in the wrong forum, be easy on me! :)

I had a thought about adding an additional layer to the maps. A 'shadow' layer in which the mapper could lay down shadows. These would be drawn on top of objects but underneath the character sprite.

I don't know if something else is already in place for exactly this sort of thing but I thought I'd share my suggestions.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by ElvenProgrammer » 07 Feb 2008, 11:27

There's no need for a shadow layer when you can have shadowed tiles.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush » 07 Feb 2008, 13:04

You can also put shadow tiles on the object layer. When you don't use oversized tiles it would do exactly what you describe.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net » 08 Feb 2008, 00:41

I don't know why I didn't think of using the object layer for shadows. But it would work for many purposes.

The problem I see happening, though, is in the case of objects on the side of buildings. Since the object will be in the objects layer, I couldn't also put a shadow tile there.

I suppose that's one of those 'limitations' that I'll just have to deal with! :D lol -- Either way I'm happy.
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek