Bob Ross

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Harufym
Peon
Peon
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Bob Ross

Post by Harufym » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:27 am

Alright, a few nights ago, a few of us were throwing around the idea of making some sort of tribute to Bob Ross, and I even joked about making a shrine to him in the form of a cave-style map. Well, due to reasons related to insomnia, I hopped on Google, brought up a picture of Ross, then proceeded to crank out a possible NPC character. I thought it would be fun to have him tucked somewhere in the Woodland area as some sort of easter egg, painting his happy trees. As always, suggestions and feedback are appreciated. Now, without any further adieu, the man of the hour:

Image
Last edited by Harufym on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malade_mental
Peon
Peon
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Malade_mental » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:24 pm

w00t w00t fnky style!
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 am
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Len » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Sorry, but personally I think this game has enough fluff... (its in desperate need of some more serious substance)

It might just be me
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
MerlinX420
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:42 am

Re: Bob Ross

Post by MerlinX420 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 pm

Harufym wrote:Alright, a few nights ago, a few of us were throwing around the idea of making some sort of tribute to Bob Ross, and I even joked about making a shrine to him in the form of a cave-style map. Well, due to reasons related to insomnia, I hopped on Google, brought up a picture of Ross, then proceeded to crank out a possible NPC character. I thought it would be fun to have him tucked somewhere in the Woodland area as some sort of easter egg, painting his happy trees. As always, suggestions and feedback is appreciated. Now, without any further adieu, the man of the hour:

Image
ROFL!!! I thought you were joking!! As far as that goes I think it would be cool if the NPC Gave some guidelines,pointers, and references on how to create pixel art for the game. Kind of like a in game wikkii.
Regardless of how or if he's used it's a good looking NPC graphic.
Lots of people might not know who he is. Especially the non-Americans.
I have another Idea for you...
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
User avatar
Landon
Novice
Novice
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Landon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:10 pm

better than mine, I like it.
Landon
"Life is like one big screwed up Merry-Go-Round, I get thrown off but I get right back on"
User avatar
Harufym
Peon
Peon
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Harufym » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Len wrote:Sorry, but personally I think this game has enough fluff... (its in desperate need of some more serious substance)

It might just be me
Well, after seeing Kirk and Spock in the game, I sort of have to lean toward your opinion. However, the point of easter eggs is to temporarily remove that "fourth wall" of role-playing to have just a little fun. I didn't want him to be a major character, just a singular NPC that may offer some sort of advice or deliver a humorous line or two. In either case, I appreciate your feedback.
Dr Wahl
Novice
Novice
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:15 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Dr Wahl » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:44 pm

I would KIND OF agree with Len. There are a lot of "out of character" NPCs in the game as it is, however, I really enjoy seeing references to other characters/events/stories inside of games. For example, World of Warcraft has a quest chain called the Linken quest chain. It follows a part of the story path from Zelda 2, and in the end, you get the Sword of Mastery. I believe there is a time and place for these CRAZY NPCs, but like Len said, we need to get some more in TMW NPCs to make these outside references work.
Image
User avatar
Sertraline
Novice
Novice
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:29 am
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Sertraline » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Well, maybe if they don't want the NPC you could make a Bob Ross male hairstyle. :) It looks like you based it off the default char sprite, right? Or you could make his shirt into an item! :D
User avatar
Harufym
Peon
Peon
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Harufym » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Dr Wahl wrote:I would KIND OF agree with Len. There are a lot of "out of character" NPCs in the game as it is, however, I really enjoy seeing references to other characters/events/stories inside of games. For example, World of Warcraft has a quest chain called the Linken quest chain. It follows a part of the story path from Zelda 2, and in the end, you get the Sword of Mastery. I believe there is a time and place for these CRAZY NPCs, but like Len said, we need to get some more in TMW NPCs to make these outside references work.
As was said, I lean toward Len's opinion on the subject of these singular NPCs. I have no intention of letting these sort of things interfere with my primary work, this was merely a small push on a previous idea that the majority of those involved found funny. In total, it took about 20 to 30 minutes to complete. I understand that there needs to be more serious content, and despite how little that I've brought to the table to date, it's a goal of mine to contribute as much as I can.
Sertraline wrote:Well, maybe if they don't want the NPC you could make a Bob Ross male hairstyle. :) It looks like you based it off the default char sprite, right? Or you could make his shirt into an item! :D
I will definitely consider making the Bob Ross hairstyle, it may come in handy when and if the ethnicity of your character can be selected, in which case it may become a viable unisex hairstyle. In any case, my plate is a bit full as far as clothing goes, so if anyone wants to take a crack at the shirt, go for it, and if possible, make it in multiple colors to add a bit more variety and flavor to the game. I'm also sorry if I sound a bit off-putting at the moment, I haven't slept in almost 23 hours now.
User avatar
Othello
Novice
Novice
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:15 pm
Location: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Bob Ross

Post by Othello » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Haha.. I'm from europe, but I know Bob Ross... however, if I was 5 years younger I would not. The idea of some shrines for specific persons would be fun. Maybe one of Elvis? ... together with Spock and Kirk maybe ;) 'Elvis is not dead!' Personally I like fluff, but it has to be in line with the size of the world... out of character NPC's should be hard to find.
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog... I'm my own best friend!" - Barf

My blog
Post Reply