Castle track

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Castle track

Post by dariunas »

Hey all, hope you're all well...

Have a track at concept track available for listening for the castle area of the game.

Have a listen and let me know... I know there are a couple of rough transitions (mainly at 00:43) and some rather dodgy snare drum work near the end, all will be picked up in later stages once the skeleton of the composition and arrangement is done... Also don't worry about the length as this is not finished... :)

http://www.infectedmusicdesigns.co.uk/2 ... pt_1.0.ogg#

To help me out, nailing the mood, could someone advise me of the kinda setting of the castle? ie. is there a kind of royalty/governing body or individual residing there? The kind of events that take place etc. etc.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Castle track

Post by Crush »

The whole track lacks the pompouseness I would expect from a soundtrack for a castle.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
jojje
Peon
Peon

Post by jojje »

GREAT! :D
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Crush wrote:The whole track lacks the pompouseness I would expect from a soundtrack for a castle.
I think it has pompouseness in several places. It's nice. :)
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

I do break against my own rule “if unsure, do not post” now, because I’m not so sure whether to post this. Thusly I write everything in a smaller size.

This is my first time commenting on music, and I’m not sure what a good way to comment is, I do not wish to offend. ;) I write the things that come to mynde, please skip reading if anything is not to your like (I’m generally being told to be “tone-deaf” but still have a feel for “motion” in music). :lol: If you wish, please do tell me if you would like me to keep commenting on your music. I love listening to music, and while I find constructive commenting hard, I’m prepared to do it once in a while if it helps you. I’m not one easily offended. *smile*

*turning up the volume and closing eyes*

Castle track concept version 1.0 (2008-05-19)
--00.20 The intro has glimpses of horses and knights in my mind, not really what I thought I would hear when reading “Castle track”, but I guess it’s suited anyway. Regardless, I like the intro and feel it would be given justice to be a bit longer, having some more time to evolve; as it is now, I think it passes into the main theme a tad to quickly. (In my head I hear the intro being played once again, this time with some added harmonics/depth.)
01.03--01.12 Me likes. In my head it is something calmer and with more ease than a stiff castle.
01.12-- I think: European castles, filled with stiff intriguing nobles and official decrees being handed over.

I realise one thing myself, I have a very stiff concept on what a castle is, and in what context the castle is placed and used. Something I should delve more on myself.

Actually after having listened a few more times while roaming around the castle (in my mind), I have something I wish to communicate, but I do not know how to put it in words... In general I like how this concept sounds, it’s good overall, and if you get those transitions working in a smooth way, then I beilieve this track will “hold a feeling” through. The only thing I really would suggest to work on (but I guess that would be at a later stage in production) is dampening the track a bit so it stays in the background. There is also something about the strings(?) directly after 00.20 that somehow breaks my roaming flow in the castle, why so, I have no idea.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When I think about a soundtrack for a castle I imagine something like this track from Ragnarok Online.

Ragnarok Online is an MMORPG with (in my opinion) very diverse and high quality music. I think it would be a good source of inspiration. You can listen to other background tracks here: http://www.rocards.de/BGM.rc
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Hm, to me, that track from Ragnarok online doesn't sound like a castle at all. It just sounds like music from an adventure movie. The first thing that came to my mind was actually Star Wars, then Indiana Jones and similar movies. I think the track that dariunas made is far more suitable for a castle. :) Maybe the pomp parts could be amplified a little, but not too much.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Hmmmmm...

Firstly, thank you all for your comments and feedback, Ces especially - that feedback is the best I've received yet, in terms of content and they way you've explained it. no offense taken whatsoever. :) You used the time index which Peavey suggested which is very helpful for me, and your comment about the Violas at 00:20 was something I had missed! But you're right, the attack on this is very sharp and comes out of nowhere, I've altered this so it fades in more comfortably...

Crush and Vink. I see what you're both saying here... the words I had atatched to a castle setting were 'majestic' and 'grandeur', but I also wanted to keep military elements in there too as I wasn't sure about the setting of the castle with regards to noble residents etc.

I'm not sure if Ragnarok really has any true elements of pompousness either to be honest. It does have a certain 'aloofness' and the track is very nice in all respects. The composer behind this game has a very good grasp of the concept and command over orchestration. Skills in which I'm not so well versed.

Although this track does have many elements built in which are fitting for a castle, the track overall 'breathes' with too much purpose and drive for The Mana World I think...? It does sound extremely... epic in places... The use of percussion is certainly something I could learn from as well as the way he/she uses melody and harmonies in the brass section...

I think what you're after lies somewhere between my initial design, and this Ragnarok example...?

PS. on an off note, what's up with the servers?? :shock:
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I think it could be more pompous and grand.
The drums at 0:44 and 1:32 could be a little more forceful and driving, but not overwhelming.
There seems to be a harp at places, if so, bring it out more, if not, it'd sound good with the other strings and soloing in places.

PS: About the servers.
leeor_net
Novice
Novice

Post by leeor_net »

Crush wrote:Ragnarok Online is an MMORPG with (in my opinion) very diverse and high quality music. I think it would be a good source of inspiration. You can listen to other background tracks here: http://www.rocards.de/BGM.rc
I have to disagree... its music has a very generic anime sound to it that IMHO lacks any real inspiration or vision. Just like MapleStory and many of the 'free' MMO's produced by asian companies. Fun to listen to but not true works of art as the music in other games (Like World of Warcraft or Novastorm or Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger). Plus, it gets real old real fast.

dariunas, I think you're a talented musician. I think some of the suggestions are dead on but regardless, you're good at what you do!
- Leeor

"Oh, no thanks. I ate a boulder on the way in." - Shrek