Winged Helm Tiara

All development of pixel art and graphics
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Winged Helm Tiara

Post by Saphy » 06 Aug 2008, 03:40

Hi,

I just started on a dark "valkyrie" helm sprite.

Image or Image or Image

How does it look? I am not sure if I should make it bigger or just have it as is, and whether the feathers should be more toward the back. I would like to get some feedback before I started on the other views.
Last edited by Saphy on 18 Oct 2009, 00:56, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
fate
Novice
Novice
Posts: 402
Joined: 20 Mar 2008, 15:34

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by fate » 06 Aug 2008, 05:54

Saphy,

I like both the idea and your attempts at realising it. :-)

The rightmost one looks best to me. The leftmost one looks good, too, but I am worried that the feathers might be too wide. Putting the two topmost feathers together for the rightmost one also yields a more `winged' shape than just using individual feathers would. (Though perhaps the feathers could still reach a little higher.)

The black part looks good to me, but perhaps it could be improved by making it bend a little less downwards towards the ears and/or by placing it one pixel row lower (`perhaps' being the keyword here). (Also, does the colour match the warlord plate mail?)

What I am not sure about is how you will prevent the helmet from slipping down or falling off... though there are some plausible mechanical solutions that don't need to be visible in the frontal view (and some less plausible ones that need not be visible at all. ;-)

-- fate
User avatar
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 2526
Joined: 13 Apr 2004, 20:11
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by ElvenProgrammer » 06 Aug 2008, 09:05

Hmm, black and white backgrounds make it harder to see the details. I suggest you try your wonderful work on a neutral color.
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by Saphy » 06 Aug 2008, 16:18

fate wrote: " The rightmost one looks best to me. The leftmost one looks good, too, but I am worried that the feathers might be too wide. Putting the two topmost feathers together for the rightmost one also yields a more `winged' shape than just using individual feathers would. (Though perhaps the feathers could still reach a little higher.)"
Like this?
Image
fate wrote: The black part looks good to me, but perhaps it could be improved by making it bend a little less downwards towards the ears and/or by placing it one pixel row lower
Do you meant to move the pixel near the ear more downward, or upward (i.e. less downwards)?
fate wrote: What I am not sure about is how you will prevent the helmet from slipping down or falling off... though there are some plausible mechanical solutions that don't need to be visible in the frontal view (and some less plausible ones that need not be visible at all. ;-)
There are metal strips that surround the head, but it would be covered by the hair. Is it possible to use different sprite for bald players?

This is what it would look like from the side (without the metal strips):
Image

The first one indeed has the feather too wide, I will start with the 3rd one then.
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Hmm, black and white backgrounds make it harder to see the details. I suggest you try your wonderful work on a neutral color.
Here's a golden coloured one so that you can see the detail better.

Image
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by kr0n05931 » 06 Aug 2008, 23:05

In Norse Mythology Valkyries had round helmets with wings on the sides. Basically a golden warlord helm with feathers in place of the horns, according to paintings and depictions.
Lazy bum.
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by Saphy » 07 Aug 2008, 06:32

kr0n05931 wrote:In Norse Mythology Valkyries had round helmets with wings on the sides. Basically a golden warlord helm with feathers in place of the horns, according to paintings and depictions.
Something like this?

Image

The pattern I added makes it looks like a monk cap, lol.

But at any rate, we can call the helm something else instead, I just want something that will show the hair instead of a helm and covers everythings. How about winged tiara?

I have updated the post title so that people wouldn't confuse this with the real valkyrie helm :p
Last edited by Saphy on 07 Aug 2008, 06:39, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by kr0n05931 » 07 Aug 2008, 06:35

A bit like that, but it was closer to the eyes.
Lazy bum.
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by Saphy » 07 Aug 2008, 06:58

kr0n05931 wrote:A bit like that, but it was closer to the eyes.
And there's something closer to the eyes:

Image

This is just a rough sketch that I don't plan continue, but it does indeed make me laugh. XD

But now that I look at it again, it inspires me to make a texture like this:

Image

I think I am going off topic now.

Anyway, any other suggestions regarding the "valkyrie" winged helm in my second post? Maybe I will just finish it up tomorrow and see if I can make this funny helm I just made into something interesting.
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Non-Valkyrie Winged Helm Tiara

Post by Rotonen » 07 Aug 2008, 10:54

I liked the pretty tiaras, semantics aside.

The players are yet again going to appreciate your input for the hat world.
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: Non-Valkyrie Winged Helm Tiara

Post by kr0n05931 » 07 Aug 2008, 19:17

IMHO all the tiara really needs is like a face mask. You know, make it circle around the eyes as well.
Lazy bum.
User avatar
zipon
Novice
Novice
Posts: 105
Joined: 29 Jun 2005, 23:13
Location: Denmark

Re: Valkyrie Helm

Post by zipon » 08 Aug 2008, 12:31

is it me or do the thing in at the hat look like a cross, i dont think that is a good mix try to use the sunwheel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunwheel or the walknot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walknot

Image

else but that it look cool, keep up the good work,
Image
User avatar
fate
Novice
Novice
Posts: 402
Joined: 20 Mar 2008, 15:34

Re: Non-Valkyrie Winged Helm Tiara

Post by fate » 14 Aug 2008, 18:59

Saphy,

I still prefer the tiara versions, to be honest, and I am curious whether they might not look better if they were thinner and less textured (less armoured and more elegant, so to speak).

-- fate
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Re: Non-Valkyrie Winged Helm Tiara

Post by Saphy » 15 Aug 2008, 15:48

fate wrote:Saphy,

I still prefer the tiara versions, to be honest, and I am curious whether they might not look better if they were thinner and less textured (less armoured and more elegant, so to speak).

-- fate
Sorry for the delay, I went back home last week to study for exam and didn't get to work on the tiara until the exam was over.

Here's the tiara version of the helm:

Image

Preview:
Image

Drawing the back view is somewhat challenging. How does it look?

I tried making a thiner version, but it doesn't work out very well because of the lack of pixels for details. I created this helm as a matching set with the current warlord plate. How does it look?
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Re: Non-Valkyrie Winged Helm Tiara

Post by Crush » 15 Aug 2008, 16:11

I think the design looks really cool.

There is just one thing that bothers me, and that are the pure white wings. How about reducing their brightness a bit to avoid the pure white (#ffffff) portions and adding a tiny (tiny!) bit of color to them? Unless you want the wings to be recolorable, of course.

But otherwise really good work.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Re: Non-Valkyrie Winged Helm Tiara

Post by Saphy » 17 Aug 2008, 19:13

Crush wrote:I think the design looks really cool.

There is just one thing that bothers me, and that are the pure white wings. How about reducing their brightness a bit to avoid the pure white (#ffffff) portions and adding a tiny (tiny!) bit of color to them? Unless you want the wings to be recolorable, of course.

But otherwise really good work.
Like this?

Image

Preview:
Image
Post Reply