Monster Oil quest broken

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Monster Oil quest broken

Post by fate »

Hi everyone,

the monster oil quest is presently broken. Until we can fix it, you will lose all items without a satisfactory chance of winning the quest. So please don't ask Caul to make monster oil for you for now. We will let you know once this has been fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

-- fate
Jacobian
Peon
Peon

Re: Monster Oil quest broken

Post by Jacobian »

:/ I wish we had a note like this in the game. I just completed the subquest for the golden scorpion stinger. But after winning the arm wrestling contest and handing over my snake skins, the gold stinger appeared on the tavern floor instead of in my inventory. I tried to pick it up, but I got the server message: "Sever Error: unable to pick up item."

Sometimes this goes away after selling a few items, so I darted out to the archery shop nearby, sold an item, and came back a moment later... to find that someone had taken the golden stinger. So now I can't complete the quest. My character has his variable set as having received his stinger, so there's no way for me to get one now. I won't be able to complete this quest ever as a result. I can't even start a new character for it, because there is a level 60 requirement to complete the quest. How frustrating!
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Jacobian wrote::/ I wish we had a note like this in the game. I just completed the subquest for the golden scorpion stinger. But after winning the arm wrestling contest and handing over my snake skins, the gold stinger appeared on the tavern floor instead of in my inventory. I tried to pick it up, but I got the server message: "Sever Error: unable to pick up item."

Sometimes this goes away after selling a few items, so I darted out to the archery shop nearby, sold an item, and came back a moment later... to find that someone had taken the golden stinger. So now I can't complete the quest. My character has his variable set as having received his stinger, so there's no way for me to get one now. I won't be able to complete this quest ever as a result. I can't even start a new character for it, because there is a level 60 requirement to complete the quest. How frustrating!
You can sell stuff to the bar tender.

Platyna might give you one.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Jacobian wrote::/ I wish we had a note like this in the game. I just completed the subquest for the golden scorpion stinger. But after winning the arm wrestling contest and handing over my snake skins, the gold stinger appeared on the tavern floor instead of in my inventory. I tried to pick it up, but I got the server message: "Sever Error: unable to pick up item."
The golden stinger part of the quest works as it is intended. You should be able to do the quest without any problems until you come to the part where you have to talk with Caul. Stay away from the "I would like to brew monster oil" dialog option or you risk losing your items.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

we believe that the monster oil quest has been fixed. Two things to note:
  • It was possible to finish the quest.
  • The difference between losing with the bug and losing without the bug was not significant-- either way you lost most of the components for the potion.
Thus, if you failed in that quest and triggered the bug, you did lose exactly as much as you were supposed to lose.

Meanwhile, feel free to give it another try! :-)

-- fate
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

z0ro wrote:Where can I find a gold stinger?
You can get it from someone who likes beer.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I have verified that the quest does work. I have finished it. Damn it was hard.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Volcanic ash is dropped by fire goblins.
ikms
Peon
Peon

Post by ikms »

Hi,

Are you sure that Caul is fixed, as I am now on the 8TH attempt. (And its getting very VERY frustrating, getting pearls, snakes skins, etc again and again and again)

Caul's instructions, under "What to do" is pretty self explainatory however,
"Mauve" does not darken the potion, it just gives another random color.

(Hours and Hours wasted - on what should be a pretty straight forward quest. )

I have heard of random, but I think you need a counter on the number of attempts, before Caul delivers.
Just to see what is actually going on here.

Regards
ikms
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

ikms wrote:Hi,

Are you sure that Caul is fixed, as I am now on the 8TH attempt. (And its getting very VERY frustrating, getting pearls, snakes skins, etc again and again and again)

Caul's instructions, under "What to do" is pretty self explainatory however,
"Mauve" does not darken the potion, it just gives another random color.

(Hours and Hours wasted - on what should be a pretty straight forward quest. )

I have heard of random, but I think you need a counter on the number of attempts, before Caul delivers.
Just to see what is actually going on here.

Regards
ikms
The hint that helped me the most is that you should add mauve at Purple, green or gray. I think Caul should say that instead of just Dark gray.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ikms wrote:Are you sure that Caul is fixed,
When you did not get disconnected (along with everyone else on the server) while mixing the oil the fix was successful.
  • NOT a game master