Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.
Forum rules
This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums
Post Reply
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by Jaxad0127 » 02 Jan 2009, 01:45

We've been looking at various currency symbols that we can use in NPC scripts and such for when we move to 0.1 (0.0.28 will also support this).

Some of my ideas:
¤ (Generic currency symbol)
§ (Section symbol; used as currency by many games)
⅁ (Turned sans-serif G)

Please post anything else you think might be good. Original art is welcome (we can make a font symbol for it).
Image
User avatar
EJlol
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1071
Joined: 06 Sep 2005, 09:42

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by EJlol » 02 Jan 2009, 01:52

My suggestion: ŧ or Ŧ
Players can substitute it with a t or T. Note that there will be a easy option in any case to type the "real" charachter. Which problably will be something like \$.
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by Crush » 02 Jan 2009, 02:35

We could use the $ sign as the currency symbol and replace the character in our font file with something which looks differently. I can't imagine any normal dialog where the $ sign could have a different function than currency.

Note that there was also the idea to give every civilisation in the game a different currency. This would allow some interesting features like simulating a finance market with shifting exchange rates (not randomly but based on the game economy, of course).

When we start editing the font file we could also use the private use area of the unicode plane for a whole set of new symbols. Would be hard to edit in a text editor, though.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
5t3v3
Novice
Novice
Posts: 451
Joined: 31 Oct 2007, 16:08
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by 5t3v3 » 02 Jan 2009, 21:36

I wouldn't use a currency symbol that exists in the real world, and if you do, I'd suggest euro's (€) instead of dollars ($) :p

Anyway, I was thinking something among the lines like the greek mu: µ
My keybord-layout has that character. Idk about qwertyboards, but I think they have it to, right?
The MU from Mana cUrrency :D
In game characters: "5t3v3" and "L "
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by Jaxad0127 » 02 Jan 2009, 21:53

5t3v3 wrote:I wouldn't use a currency symbol that exists in the real world, and if you do, I'd suggest euro's (€) instead of dollars ($) :p

Anyway, I was thinking something among the lines like the greek mu: µ
My keybord-layout has that character. Idk about qwertyboards, but I think they have it to, right?
The MU from Mana cUrrency :D
Most don't have it, but we're looking at ways to make special symbols available to all (http://mantis.themanaworld.org/view.php?id=602).
Image
User avatar
octalot
Novice
Novice
Posts: 214
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 20:15

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by octalot » 03 Jan 2009, 00:17

Crush wrote:We could use the $ sign as the currency symbol and replace the character in our font file with something which looks differently. I can't imagine any normal dialog where the $ sign could have a different function than currency.
Linux distros may want to remove the dejavu font in favour of their standard dejavu package; so please don't edit that one.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
lost_soul
Peon
Peon
Posts: 30
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:10

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by lost_soul » 03 Jan 2009, 00:36

©

the copyright symbol, looks clean, and resembles a coin in of itself, two birds one stone
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by Jaxad0127 » 03 Jan 2009, 02:06

octalot wrote:
Crush wrote:We could use the $ sign as the currency symbol and replace the character in our font file with something which looks differently. I can't imagine any normal dialog where the $ sign could have a different function than currency.
Linux distros may want to remove the dejavu font in favour of their standard dejavu package; so please don't edit that one.
Then that's their problem for messing with our data.
Image
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by kr0n05931 » 03 Jan 2009, 03:22

jaxad0127 wrote:
octalot wrote:
Crush wrote:We could use the $ sign as the currency symbol and replace the character in our font file with something which looks differently. I can't imagine any normal dialog where the $ sign could have a different function than currency.
Linux distros may want to remove the dejavu font in favour of their standard dejavu package; so please don't edit that one.
Then that's their problem for messing with our data.
If the font is GPL-compatible we could always call it "TMW-Standard".
Lazy bum.
the-me
Peon
Peon
Posts: 20
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:10
Contact:

Re: Currency symbol for TMWServ/0.1

Post by the-me » 03 Jan 2009, 20:13

jaxad0127 wrote:
octalot wrote:
Crush wrote:We could use the $ sign as the currency symbol and replace the character in our font file with something which looks differently. I can't imagine any normal dialog where the $ sign could have a different function than currency.
Linux distros may want to remove the dejavu font in favour of their standard dejavu package; so please don't edit that one.
Then that's their problem for messing with our data.
No! It is realy your problem (and if this applies to the vcs also for the tmw development) if you try to mess with the existing distribution data!
GNU/Linux Debian Developer
Post Reply