Desert Kingdom Tileset

All development of pixel art and graphics
Maester Pixel
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Mar 2005, 19:52

Desert Kingdom Tileset

Post by Maester Pixel » 09 Jun 2005, 18:26

[ DELETED ]
Last edited by Maester Pixel on 04 Jul 2005, 04:26, edited 20 times in total.
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: 20 May 2005, 16:51
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » 09 Jun 2005, 19:28

No need to apolagise. :)
I like the tileset, the door mostly.

I think though that the buildings dried clay could use some more structure. And the the wooden roof trim could be improved.

But, nice work.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
User avatar
Verious
Peon
Peon
Posts: 42
Joined: 23 Apr 2005, 20:31
Location: Online
Contact:

Post by Verious » 09 Jun 2005, 20:17

Looks good, but the color in the open doorway seems to be different than the color in the open windows.
User avatar
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 2526
Joined: 13 Apr 2004, 20:11
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by ElvenProgrammer » 10 Jun 2005, 21:07

Glad to hear you're back and my messagge finally reached you.
I'va added you to my msn contact list so we will talk a bit or let's see you in irc
Maester Pixel
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Mar 2005, 19:52

Post by Maester Pixel » 14 Jun 2005, 12:07

A little update just to show my progress. Note that the old tilesets that were shown are not yet competed because they still need some additional tweaking.
Now for the last part, I would like some feedback on the two desert tiles I created, except for you Elven since you were the first one to review it (you can though if you want to); does it need change or just a few touch ups, etc. Basically that's it for now.

I will update this thread again in four days.
Modanung wrote:I like the tileset, the door mostly.
The door needs to be redone, though not entirely, just some minor details.
Verious wrote:Looks good, but the color in the open doorway seems to be different than the color in the open windows.
Well, that's because I haven't really decided yet what the permanent colour should be for the doorway, but yes I still will fix that.
Last edited by Maester Pixel on 16 Jun 2005, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bjørn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1430
Joined: 09 Dec 2004, 19:50
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Contact:

Post by Bjørn » 15 Jun 2005, 10:11

I kinda like our current desert color, and your desert tile seems to be a bit too tiled as it's repeating itself internally 4 times already. Hard to judge by just seeing a single tile though.
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: 20 May 2005, 16:51
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » 15 Jun 2005, 10:14

I also think it's too yellow, I agree we should stick on to our current desertcolour. Or at least something similar.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Maester Pixel
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Mar 2005, 19:52

Post by Maester Pixel » 15 Jun 2005, 14:44

Bjørn wrote:I kinda like our current desert color,
You really like to give opinions rather then advice, don't you? You did not have to write that Bjørn, really.
Bjørn wrote:and your desert tile seems to be a bit too tiled as it's repeating itself internally 4 times already.
That is the advice I want.
Modanung wrote:I also think it's too yellow, I agree we should stick on to our current desertcolour.
Its not the final tileset nor is it complete to even be one. Look, I just need advice right now, not your opinion on which one is better then the other. Remember that.
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: 20 May 2005, 16:51
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » 15 Jun 2005, 15:06

I think it's too yellow... my advice: Make it less yellow.

And as I said before: I think the walls and floors are too flat.
So my advice would something like... add more depth/texture to the building's surfaces.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Post by Rotonen » 15 Jun 2005, 20:56

Allow more complex interjunctions.
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Bjørn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1430
Joined: 09 Dec 2004, 19:50
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Contact:

Post by Bjørn » 15 Jun 2005, 23:15

Maester Pixel wrote:
Bjørn wrote:I kinda like our current desert color,
You really like to give opinions rather then advice, don't you? You did not have to write that Bjørn, really.
Opinion and advice are closely connected. I mean the thing about too much tileage is also in my (humble, if that helps) opinion. We have a reddish sand color and you decide to draw a yellow one, while my advice would be to stick with the current color.

If it's for a different desert, course we don't also have to make it reddish, then my advice would be use something less yellow, like Modanung did.
Maester Pixel
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Mar 2005, 19:52

Post by Maester Pixel » 16 Jun 2005, 12:27

Bjørn wrote:I mean the thing about too much tileage is also in my (humble, if that helps) opinion.
To you, to me it is feedback.
(I should have used the term feedback instead of advice, my mistake)
Bjørn wrote:We have a reddish sand color and you decide to draw a yellow one, while my advice would be to stick with the current color.
Bjørn, I don't make pixel art because you happen to favor it, I create pixel art (sprites) because that is what is needed for tmw to progress, am I or am I not correct?
Rotonen wrote:Allow more complex interjunctions.
Hmm. I don't understand why you would post just that when clearly I stated that I need feedback on sprites, not social matters. Next time at least try to add a comment or two about the thread before commenting on something else, otherwise it's considered off-topic.

Now I'm going off-topic, funny how that works.

Forest Sprite.gif:
Image
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: 20 May 2005, 16:51
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » 16 Jun 2005, 14:07

Maester Pixel wrote:
Bjørn wrote:We have a reddish sand color and you decide to draw a yellow one, while my advice would be to stick with the current color.
Bjørn, I don't make pixel art because you happen to favor it, I create pixel art (sprites) because that is what is needed for tmw to progress, am I or am I not correct?
You're not completely incorrect... but I think more people share his opinion. You can't ask everyone's opinion/advice at once, you need the opinions of the individual to get a picture of that of the community.
And it's not true you can do as you like, if that's what you mean.
Maester Pixel wrote:
Rotonen wrote:Allow more complex interjunctions.
Hmm. I don't understand why you would post just that when clearly I stated that I need feedback on sprites, not social matters. Next time at least try to add a comment or two about the thread before commenting on something else, otherwise it's considered off-topic.

Now I'm going off-topic, funny how that works.
I don't think what he says was off-topic. I think he commented on the building tiles. With 'interjunctions' he meant that you should also create building tiles that allow other buildings than box-shaped ones. Like L-shaped, or with different heights in one building. Or the ability to add tower-like parts (walls on top of floors).
Maester Pixel wrote: Forest Sprite.gif:
Image
Looks nice, but maybe you should inform what we need before you make something. The forrest area isn't coming very soon, there are other things that need doing first. But maybe I'm wrong on this one.

You seem slightly frustrated, correct me if I'm wrong... Looks like it's because of communication errors.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Maester Pixel
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 09 Mar 2005, 19:52

Post by Maester Pixel » 16 Jun 2005, 15:48

Hmm. Let me try to end this discussion as freindly as possible; I don't mind changing the colour or the look, or even both. Remember the yellowish desert tile I pixeled was a simple sample to see what it would look like if finished, I never said it was final nor did I say it looked better then the current tileset we were using, I just wanted advice, no feedback on whether or not I should change it, an I got what I wanted, I'm satisfied.
This will surely help me create a suitable desert tile that everyone should agree upon.
Modanung wrote:And it's not true you can do as you like, if that's what you mean.
That is not what I meant. What I was trying to say was; not everyone will agree with what I create, but if its necessary for tmw to proceed and grow then their is nothing I can do then to try an edit it as best as possible to the members & staff's likeing.
Look the point is, is that you or someone else may still disagree with the finished product.
Modanung wrote:I don't think what he says was off-topic. I think he commented on the building tiles. With 'interjunctions' he meant that you should also create building tiles that allow other buildings than box-shaped ones.
If Rotonen meant interjunctions and not interjunction (forms that express feelings), then I apologize for misconcepting what he said earlier.
Modanung wrote:Looks nice, but maybe you should inform what we need before you make something.

That picture was just their to refer that I was heading off-topic, I was being sarcastic, besides it has nothing to do with tmw (not that I know of), it just happens to be something I fancy, nothing more. Thanks for the complement though.
Modanung wrote:You seem slightly frustrated, correct me if I'm wrong... Looks like it's because of communication errors.
To be honest, slightly, I mean you would be to if you saw this ruckus.
User avatar
Bjørn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1430
Joined: 09 Dec 2004, 19:50
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Contact:

Post by Bjørn » 16 Jun 2005, 23:40

Maester Pixel wrote:Bjørn, I don't make pixel art because you happen to favor it, I create pixel art (sprites) because that is what is needed for tmw to progress, am I or am I not correct?
Of course you are correct, but if you want to help TMW progress you should care about people's opinions, especially those who are also involved in the development of the game. I never said you had to change the color, I simply stated my opinion about it.

You don't have to agree with everything happening on the programming field either. Even when I'm not actively asking, you should be free to express your opinions about what I do.

I think we agree on these points and hope this post continuous the friendly end you pursued.
Post Reply