Mage class

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Mage class

Post by Kill3rZ »

Hi!

I'm new in this forum so please be gentle :)

I really love the way you can "slide" into a class by choosing your stats according to the needs you think necessary. I also think that being able to reset your stats for a fair price is a brilliant idea. It keeps the game interesting to let people try doing things differently without having to start over. And you did a great job bringing a mage class into the game, but I think this last part can and should be improved.

First of all: A mage isn't supposed to be all muscular and strong. He/she has a good spell to cary his/her luggage with but it's useless because every mage must be built like a wrestler. I think magic should prove that a person's power doesn't always come from his arms. SSo war magic should be based on intelligence only, not on physical damage. It's almost impossible to be a good mage and fight efficiently when you are around level 55. And I spent ridiculous amounts of GP trying to get the stats right.

Second: Luck should affect the drop rate too. If it doesn't , I think it should. If it already does, people must be told about it (wiki/npc's/login message) You have a teaching NPC (Ian, I think, but I'm not sure). He says that luck is useless. On wiki it says that luck has something to do with critical blows, so that's not much. Luck is also about finding stuff on the street and winning the lottery, right? And a mage should have an (expensive) spell to increase the drop rate of his/her kills. It wouldn't break the balance of the game economy. It would be just right. A mage "burns" a lot of expensive stuff that a warrior or archer just sells, so it would be right for him to get to make more money by finding more stuff than the others. I mean, I would gladly burn 2 pieces of cotton cloth to make the iron ore and ash fall more often for a while. Yeah, cotton cloth should be the price, since a mage doesn't like to get Sagatha angry by killing mouboos and the shearing spell already burns a lot of MP.

OR:

Mages need a good fighting spell that doesn't burn something as rare as iron powder (made from iron ore that is so hard to come by). I like the lightning, but if I have to use a sword/scythe or even fire bolts to kill about 150 yellow slimes in order to cast lightning 15 times or so, I'd rather not. Getting a magic class is pretty hard work. It should be worth it when you actually learn it.

This was a long post. I promise I'll get the next ones much shorter.

Thanks
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Re: Mage class

Post by Jumpy »

actually you just have to change stats to be a mage or a warrior so actually there si no real difference between mage and warrior on the bases the game goes.

i like your ideas

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Kill3rZ,

Right now the first two levels of magic have been released. There are plans for more than that; magic levels 1-2 are supposed to encompass gameplay up to (roughly) level 45 or so, either in a party or by combo-classing. The next magic level, when released, should provide some more things to do for experience levels up to 60 (or so).

-- fate
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

I understand that perfectly. But IMHO, the magic levels shouldn't only be "check! I did that too", but also "I'm so glad I did that! My character is way cooler than before".

Mage class should be something you might wish to commit to. It's supposed to be thrilling. It's getting magic powers, not winning a free hat. A lot of people with full magic powers (at the moment) return to warrior stats from lack of perspective. It's hard and frustrating to keep fighting as a mage, and it doesn't need to be, regardless of the level. The thunderbolt spell is excellent, but iron ores are simply rare expensive items required for pretty strong armors. Nobody can afford to throw them away like that. And flar should be *really* cheap. It's not good enough to be worth killing fire goblins for all day. I would kill thousands of fire goblins for the same amount of thunder bolt, but for flar it's simply cost inefficient. And unless any new monster starts dropping ores and ashes like bats drop wings and teeth, magic is nothing more than a party trick in this game. And it shouldn't be.
peavey
Novice
Novice

Post by peavey »

Kill3rZ wrote:I understand that perfectly.
No. You do not seem to understand perfectly. The reagents/catalysts/components are most of the time only needed when you are a low level mage. If you really understood, you would understand that these spells do NOT consume anything but mana points at later magic levels.
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

OK, I didn't understand perfectly. I understand now. :) I didn't know you had another, perhaps better solution. I wasn't trying to get you annoyed, just to help. Maybe I'll be able to make more educated suggestions when I spend more time in this community. Keep it up.