Montior bots

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.
Forum rules
This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums
Post Reply
DarkWater
Novice
Novice
Posts: 422
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 20:03

Montior bots

Post by DarkWater » 29 Sep 2009, 19:19

Since we are going to let this experiment take place and there is now a need to punish people. I think we need monitor bots.

The concept is simple. There is a ton of free software that can record desktops.

The developers create a bot that monsters cannot attack and can not attack monsters.

You create enough of them.

Monitor bot 1-1000 or what ever.

a player can log in as one, move it to anywhere it is need and start desktop record.


This will help stop some of the dos attacks that has been happening.


It can also record events in the mana world, making it harder for someone to misbehave.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Ceros
Novice
Novice
Posts: 262
Joined: 17 Aug 2009, 17:03

Re: Montior bots

Post by Ceros » 29 Sep 2009, 19:56

DarkWater wrote:whut
So, uh, who is supposed to run all these 1-1000 instances of desktop recording software and TMW, and where is the output data supposed to be stored?

If it is players recording the desktop recorder to their own desktop, what stops one from setting up a fake server and recording whatever they'd like? This is the reason that screen shots aren't admissible as evidence of anything.

Good initiative, bad implementation. Might want to rethink this one some more!
Image
User avatar
t3st3r
Novice
Novice
Posts: 311
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 13:46

Re: Montior bots

Post by t3st3r » 06 Oct 2009, 14:32

DarkWater wrote:This will help stop some of the dos attacks that has been happening.
I'm still did not got idea how to stop DoS attack with recording software :mrgreen:.

DoS attack usually conducted either as large amount of TCP SYN packets (in hope to keep OS's TCP/IP network stack busy enough to prevent accepting new connections of normal clients) or as large number of concurrent client connections in hope to cause server to consume too many resources (CPU, RAM, ...) and/or fail to serve legitimate clients in a timely manner. Also there is "flood" which is basically crafted dataflow from multiple clients which could be large enough to exceed abilities of channel connecting server to internet. Then, some packets have to be dropped. This will include some legitimate packets from valid clients as well of course. At some point, if flood is heavy and exceeds channel abilities too much, valid clients can't use server properly (since too many of theit packets getting lost), hence this considered as DoS as well.

I see no way to prevent any of these 3 types of DoS attacks with desktop recording software, sorry. Last type of attack can't be effectively cancelled at server's side at all and extremly high to counter-measure at all.
User avatar
Tahli
Novice
Novice
Posts: 109
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 12:30
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Montior bots

Post by Tahli » 29 Oct 2009, 13:37

DarkWater wrote:Since we are going to let this experiment take place and there is now a need to punish people. I think we need monitor bots.

The concept is simple. There is a ton of free software that can record desktops.

The developers create a bot that monsters cannot attack and can not attack monsters.

You create enough of them.

Monitor bot 1-1000 or what ever.

a player can log in as one, move it to anywhere it is need and start desktop record.


This will help stop some of the dos attacks that has been happening.


It can also record events in the mana world, making it harder for someone to misbehave.
No1 does anything about bots, it's frustrating, they should.
:DTahli, Admin on three servers that are not my own. :D
Image
User avatar
Dark Lord
Novice
Novice
Posts: 312
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 11:05
Location: Earth

Re: Montior bots

Post by Dark Lord » 29 Oct 2009, 13:43

Tahli wrote:
DarkWater wrote:Since we are going to let this experiment take place and there is now a need to punish people. I think we need monitor bots.

The concept is simple. There is a ton of free software that can record desktops.

The developers create a bot that monsters cannot attack and can not attack monsters.

You create enough of them.

Monitor bot 1-1000 or what ever.

a player can log in as one, move it to anywhere it is need and start desktop record.


This will help stop some of the dos attacks that has been happening.


It can also record events in the mana world, making it harder for someone to misbehave.
No1 does anything about bots, it's frustrating, they should.
There are bots named "Friendly Bots" which are authorised by Bjorn and don't do anything wrong like 'TradeBot' and 'Confused Tree'
Regards
DarkLord

Dark Lord, DarkLord* In Game and lvl 50 Image

And a beginner pixel-artist :D

Code: Select all

Code? What code?
User avatar
Dark Lord
Novice
Novice
Posts: 312
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 11:05
Location: Earth

Re: Montior bots

Post by Dark Lord » 01 Nov 2009, 05:03

Ceros wrote:
DarkWater wrote:whut
So, uh, who is supposed to run all these 1-1000 instances of desktop recording software and TMW, and where is the output data supposed to be stored?

If it is players recording the desktop recorder to their own desktop, what stops one from setting up a fake server and recording whatever they'd like? This is the reason that screen shots aren't admissible as evidence of anything.

Good initiative, bad implementation. Might want to rethink this one some more!
+1
Regards
DarkLord

Dark Lord, DarkLord* In Game and lvl 50 Image

And a beginner pixel-artist :D

Code: Select all

Code? What code?
Post Reply