Where game and project announcements are made.
#132138 by Jenalya
Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:46 pm
The Mana World Collective (TMWC)

Duties:
  • The purpose of the TMWC is to make or delegate decisions regarding the running of The Mana World (TMW).
  • There are different scopes under TMWC's authority in order to balance and separate the projects responsibility and management.
  • TMWC understands that all members are here to help each other fulfill the common vision of making a Open Source 2D MMORPG.
  • Someone can hold part or all of a role and not be a TMWC member, but they need to have the required knowledge or experience to fulfill that role.
  • To become a TMWC member, you need to gain in membership in the one of the following categories of contributors; Game Master,Server Admin, or Developer and must be approved by a majority of TMWC.
  • In the event that no TMWC remain, but roles are fulfilled by non-TMWC members. Those members may assume
  • TMWC title to fulfill TMWC's duties to their best ability.

Issues which require a TMWC vote:
  • Changes to TMWC governance and/or Organization
  • Changes to Game, Forum, Etiquette and Wiki rule changes. (not guidelines)
  • Voting a member into TMWC or to advisor status or to revoke membership or ban a member.

Membership
  • If a member becomes inactive (stops) in their contributions for a period longer than 1 year, they will be moved to advisor status.
  • Prior members only have to show activity again to regain status.
  • Any member can call a vote to revoke someone's membership or ban a member.
  • At any time, any member may revoke their own membership or opt for advisor status.

Contributors:

General Duties
  • Maintain guidelines for contributors to follow on the wiki.
  • Maintain documentation on changes made.
  • Provide tutorials, training and/or time to newer contributors.
  • Leadership among the contributors will be done without coercion.
  • Addressing community Forums posts / polls / suggestions

Game Masters
  • Responsible for moderating and enforcing the rules of the game, wiki and forums.
  • All Game Masters are members of The Mana World Collective.
  • To become a Game Master, a person must be voted in by the player community

Server Admins
  • Are those that have ssh access to the server and are responsible for server restarts, maintenance, and the general health of the server overall.
  • Are those that are Forum Admins and/or Wiki Admins.
  • Are those that deal with Account resets/info and aid in GM investigations.
  • To become a member of this group, a person must first show the appropriate knowledge and willingness to devote time.

Developers
  • Programmers are responsible for making changes to the code base.
  • Content Creators are responsible for adding quests, items and monsters either via scripting, mapping, sound, client theme or pixel art.
  • Web developers are responsible for the website's front and/or back-end work.
  • Translators work on client,server and wiki data to provide them in as many languages as we can.
  • Developer group maintains a visible project plan.
  • To become a member of this group, a person must show appropriate knowledge, contribute to the project and learn and gain 'git' access.

Advisors
  • To become a member of this group, a person needs to be a prior contributor and TMWC member.
  • No longer actively contribute.
  • Allowed to vote/post as TMWC.
  • Allowed to run for Board.

The Mana World Board of Directors

Duties:
  • Maintain Open Records of Public Meetings (Secretaries Notes (irc log for meeting is fine)).
  • Maintain Financial Records (Treasurer Report).
  • Maintain a Quarterly Meeting (If not monthly).
  • Pay bills and acquire services & support for TMW the Project & Contributors.
  • The board will be the SPI Liaison or appoint one.
  • Hold elections for board positions coming open.
  • Hold the contributors & TMWC members accountable to their duties & guidelines.
  • All other powers remain within their respective TMWC domains otherwise.
  • All other votes still have to pass the same TMWC channels as before.

Positions:
  • President - Organizes and creates the agenda for each meeting.
  • Vice President - Fills anyone's role in absence.
  • Secretary - Keeps notes on meeting, publishes them to forums/wiki for public
  • Treasurer - Pays TMW's bills, reports finannces back to the Board, publishes treasurer report to the forum/wiki

Elections/offices
  • Members of TMWC (including advisers) can run for a position on the board.
  • Members can nominate themselves or accept someone else nominating them.
  • Nominations should be open for at least 1 month.
  • Members with the most votes win. In case of a tie have host another vote between the members that tied.
  • Members are elected and run for TERMS of 1 year.
  • After the elections are held and positions are filled, the new board members decide how roles are divided up.
  • In case of vacant role, other members can wear more than one hat while attempting to find another member.
  • TMWC and an advisers are always allowed to vote.
  • TMWC can choose to make elections open to more voters than TMWC and advisers.
  • TMWC can always call for a vote of no confidence to impeach a member or all of the board and hold new elections.

Members

The Mana World Committee:
  • prsm - Game Master
  • Narus - Game Master
  • Silent Dawn - Game Master
  • veryape - Game Master and Server Admin
  • Ginaria - Game Master
  • Big Crunch - Game Master
  • NitayandaRama - Game Master
  • 4144 - Programmer and Client Developer
  • wushin - Content Creator and Server Admin
  • Cassy - Content Creator
  • WildX - Game Master, Content Creator
  • Alige - Content Creator
  • Reid - Content Creator
  • Omatt - Content Creator
  • EJlol - Content Creator

The Mana World Advisers:
  • Bjørn
  • ElvenProgrammer
  • Rotonen
  • Crush
  • Chicka-Maria/Yubaba
  • Wombat
  • irukard
  • Jaxad0127
  • Big Crunch
  • Jenalya
  • Freeyorp101
  • Tiana
  • mrgrey
  • AlOnS
  • EJlol
  • Elvano
  • Enchilado
  • Teru
  • tux9th
  • Silent Dawn

The Mana World Board of Directors:
  • President: wushin
  • Vice President: veryape
  • Secretary: Vacant Seat
  • Treasurer: WildX

========== Everything below this was in the original post ==========
Spoiler:
During the past days we've been discussing how the future organization structure of TMW should look like.
Generally there aren't much changes to what we had before as 'GHP', just more clearly defined, without one person being able to overrule the rest of the group, and with a new role for inactive members.
Also, we decided to change the name from 'GHP' (Group Holding Power) to 'TMW Committee'. We think the new name suits better to express what our goal is: a group of people bringing together the knowledge and experiences to work towards the well-being of TMW. (And it sounds a lot more friendly.)

Here is what we came up with:
TMW Committee wrote:1. The purpose of the The Mana World Committee is to make or delegate decisions regarding the running of The Mana World.
2. There are different scopes under The Mana World Committee's authority. Some may require involvement of those who are not members of The Mana World Committee, but have the required knowledge or experience. The Mana World Committee members are pulled from the following categories of contributors:

A. Game Masters. Game Masters are responsible for enforcing the rules of the game, in game. Secondarily, Game Masters act as a bridge from the players to development team. All Game Masters are members of The Mana World Committee. To become a Game Master, a person must be voted in by the player community and approved by The Mana World Committee.

B. Server Admins. Admins are those that have ssh access to the server and are responsible for server restarts, maintenance, and the general health of the server overall. Forum Admin and Wiki Admin are subcategories of this group. Our new server host, who wishes to remain anonymous, also has input regarding these matters but is not considered a member of The Mana World Committee. To become a member of this group, a player or contributor must first show the appropriate knowledge, willingness to devote time, and must be unanimously approved by The Mana World Committee.

C. Programmers. Programmers are responsible for making changes to the codebase. Not all members of the Programmer group are admitted to The Mana World Committee. To become a member of this group, a player or contributor must show appropriate knowledge, contribute to the project and learn and gain 'git' access.

D. Content Creators. Content Creators are responsible for adding quests, items and monsters either via scripting, mapping, sound or pixel art. Content Creation has Council and #themanaworld-event as private domains; and #themanaworld-dev and other forums as public. Not all members of Content Creators are members of The Mana World Committee. To become a member of this group, a player or contributor must show appropriate skill, contribute to the project and is encouraged to learn and gain 'git' access.
Last edited by WildX on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 27 times in total. Reason: update member list
#132139 by Ablu
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 pm
+1 for publishing info about this structure. I think a wiki page with all this members (which is updated on changes) should not hurt too.
#132140 by Ginaria
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:09 pm
Ablu wrote:+1 for publishing info about this structure. I think a wiki page with all this members (which is updated on changes) should not hurt too.

Thats a good idea! Surely Nard would like doing it...

Probably with a link at homepage like "Thats the team behind..." to this wiki page...
and probably every developer has a profile there, what she/he is working on...
or connected to http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _and_Teams
if this page is up to date...
#132143 by Nard
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:22 pm
It is a good point that both rules and members are published.
A. Game Masters. Game Masters are responsible for enforcing the rules of the game, in game. Secondarily, Game Masters act as a bridge from the players to development team. All Game Masters are members of The Mana World Committee. To become a Game Master, a person must be voted in by the player community and approved by The Mana World Committee.

Game masters gannot represent both the rules and the players: They are not elected stricto sensu, and their nomination can be revoked by the committee. If you want player's representatives there must ne no possible conflict between roles and a good way to elect them. this is not an easy task to find one, there were several discussions, none was satisfying .
#132144 by Big Crunch
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:28 pm
Nard wrote:It is a good point that both rules and members are published.

Game masters gannot represent both the rules and the players: They are not elected stricto sensu, and their nomination can be revoked by the committee. If you want player's representatives there must ne no possible conflict between roles and a good way to elect them. this is not an easy task to find one, there were several discussions, none was satisfying .

Technically, Game Masters are the purest form of player representation.
#132146 by veryape
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:36 pm
Thanks for declaring how TMW works from now on.

I am glad about this post and feel happy about that the power-relations now are public and that we all can have imput and maybe post some insight about how to make things even better. I've just read thru it and I am personally happy about the new rules. I might come up with some ideas or input later. Right now I just wanted to report that I am glad that this has been available to the public!

My only concern is that maybe someone outside GHP to represent the players towards the GHP with regards to rules etc.. As of now GHP both writes the rules and enforces them. In difficult cases there might be a good idea to have someone outside the GHP acting like a link between the player base and the GHP.. Or otherwise have a few old time players being asked about rules and change of rules, just so that not all the powers are concentrated to the comittee..

Hopefully the older players won't have much things to do, but when a word about power-abuse directed towards those with power they can step in and act as an independent voice in the matter.

Best regards
#132147 by Nard
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:38 pm
Big Crunch wrote:Technically, Game Masters are the purest form of player representation.

Technically: no , maybe the best one that was found at the moment. they are polled (with cheat possibilities) not elected.
I would say they are chosen among the players community who participate actively to the Forum.
#132149 by blackrazor
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm
Big Crunch wrote:Technically, Game Masters are the purest form of player representation.

GMs are Law Enforcement Officers, not player reps. The purest form of player representation would be every player directly getting a vote in a forum polling over important matters. You could add criteria such as length of time with the game, activity level, number of posts, unique IP, etc., in order to weed out clones.
#132150 by Platyna
Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:44 pm
So, you just renamed GHP, changed basically nothing in the (official) structure (removed 1 and added 2 people). I feel flattered - as it seems the structure I set years ago seems to be perfect.

Regards.
#132157 by Crush
Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 pm
blackrazor wrote:GMs are Law Enforcement Officers, not player reps.

Technically yes, but GMs spend the most time ingame and have the closest contact to the player base. That makes them an important link between players and other council members.

I think the most important part of the new organization structure is that game masters are now given a lot more say internally. They are now on one level with developers and administrators. Until recently, they were considered to be below them.

Tomorrow I will start to adjust the forum group settings to represent the new structure. When someone suddenly can't do what they should be allowed to be doing, please write me a PM.
#132162 by blackrazor
Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 pm
@Crush I'm totally fine with GMs not being below Devs or Admins. They each do important, and separate jobs. I think it always should have been that way.

But that does not equate with GMs being player reps, nor a bridge to the Devs. Law Enforcement is very important, and is its own separate distinct thing.

I like the idea of an open transparent game, where any human that honestly cares for and contributes to the community would have a say. Doesn't matter if they admin, develop, enforce, or play, all of their human opinions matter, especially if it's obvious that they are putting the time and energy into being constructively heard.

Players don't need reps if we can vote. And if not, then we don't need LEOs to represent us; we need to elect player reps specifically for that purpose, probably with term limits and no TMWC override. But I still prefer that players should vote, if they meet certain basic activity and unique-IP (or other unique identifier) criteria.

I also do not want a bridge to the Devs; it's not necessary for such a small game and it would only serve to insulate the two groups from each other. In the for-profit world, it makes sense, because the money-makers would prefer to hire a firewall to deal with their customers; but that model has no merit in a free open-source game, I would hope.
#132163 by Jenalya
Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm
veryape wrote:My only concern is that maybe someone outside GHP to represent the players towards the GHP with regards to rules etc.. As of now GHP both writes the rules and enforces them. In difficult cases there might be a good idea to have someone outside the GHP acting like a link between the player base and the GHP.. Or otherwise have a few old time players being asked about rules and change of rules, just so that not all the powers are concentrated to the comittee..
The committee already consists of very different people with very different perspectives on the game.
There are separate groups in the committee exactly for the reason to avoid any single person or group to have too much power.

About player involvement, in the end it comes down to those who put work and time into the game have the right to decide. Everyone can become a developer or GM, if enough effort is invested.
And for those players who don't want that, everyone is welcome to voice their ideas and complaints, we are listening to them and we consider them. I really hope I've shown that already in the context of feedback on development and the testserver.
#132200 by Cassy
Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:07 am
First: Thanks for this thread. It was hard to understand who is doing what before.

Do I get this right that a Game Master is something you call a moderator on other sites?
#132214 by Crush
Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm
Biquinho wrote:Do I get this right that a Game Master is something you call a moderator on other sites?

Game masters are responsible for upholding the game rules in the game. They have the ability to kick or ban people from the game when they violate the game rules.