Interesting article about problematic situations in MMORPG's

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Interesting article about problematic situations in MMORPG's

Post by Derpella »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-most- ... g-history/ (offensive language, kiddies!)

I am sure that in tmw we could find people who would totally do things like that :D
Oh, I found another one..
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-bigge ... ne-gaming/
I'm Image too much.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Interesting article about problematic situations in MMOR

Post by salmondine »

Thanks for that link...a fun read.
Full of great ideas =]
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Sigh, I was hoping to be productive today. That site is as bad as TVTropes.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Derpella wrote:http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-most- ... g-history/ (offensive language, kiddies!)

I am sure that in tmw we could find people who would totally do things like that :D
Oh, I found another one..
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-bigge ... ne-gaming/
So what can we learn from that?

When there is a way to abuse something, people will abuse it. The assumption that nobody would ever be that mean-spirited, creative, self-destructive or bored is always wrong. When you create a virtual world, players are always searching for the boundaries of it. When something is theoretically possible, players will do it. That's why we play video games - because it allows us to do what we feel like doing without being afraid of the consequences.

That's the reason why the sandbox-approach of the simulationist school of though doesn't work. When you design an online game, you have to be a gamist. Don't think about what's plausible, think about what makes sense from a gameplay point of view.

PvP everywhere is plausible. I can murder someone on the street in real-life, so why shouldn't I be able in a game. Permanent death is also plausible. When people die in real-life, they stay dead and don't respawn, so they shouldn't in a game either. But the purpose of playing games is not to simulate real-life. It is supposed to be a fun experience for everyone. So when you have to decide between realism and fun gameplay, always choose the latter.

The only reason to have realism in a game is because it makes the game more intuitive and accessible. When you hit something with a sword, it dies. It is what you assume to happen when you hit something with a sword. It is intuitive because it's realistic. And killing stuff is fun. That's why every RPG - from Rogue in 1980 to Skyrim in 2011 - has this game mechanic. Communicating with NPCs using a text parser is also realistic. But is it intuitive? No, selecting predetermined answers is more intuitive, because it's immediately clear to you what you can do with an NPC. Using a text parser to figure out how to "use" an NPC is tedious and boring. Dialog trees are simply more fun. That's why no game nowadays does text parsing anymore.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

So, good dev should be able to think like a most devious, dedicated and determined deviant ;)

Another things came in to my mind- do you think people would trade items for IRL muneh? Or pay someone to level up their character? (Yeah, I know it is impossible since the password is impossible to change).
I would totally pay for assassin boots :D
Communicating with NPCs using a text parser is also realistic. But is it intuitive? No, selecting predetermined answers is more intuitive, because it's immediately clear to you what you can do with an NPC. Using a text parser to figure out how to "use" an NPC is tedious and boring. Dialog trees are simply more fun. That's why no game nowadays does text parsing anymore.
I play text adventure games sometimes. Good ones try to guess what player has on his/her mind. Bad ones wants you to spend hours of thinking if you should open the bottle, uncork it, remove the cork, or unscrew the cork or I DON'T FREAKING KNOW ANY MORE.

I also just love games when you must write to NPCs using highlighted words. I always make derpy sentences using those words.
Last edited by Derpella on 29 Nov 2011, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Image too much.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Derpella wrote:So, good dev should be able to think like a most devious, dedicated and determined deviant ;)

Another things came in to my mind- do you think people would trade items for IRL muneh? Or pay someone to level up their character? (Yeah, I know it is impossible since the password is impossible to change).
I would totally pay for assassin boots :D
There were some threads in the marketplace forum with offers for real money trades. But I don't know if any actual transactions took place.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.